1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:37 pm

It would be weird that the shop couldn't paint the housing anywhere but California LoL

Are you going to put a TrueTrac or air locker or something in the front?

You can still get all the parts for low pinion 60's, I just did a bunch of work to one in a 74. But the open knuckle disk brake axle is a really nice upgrade.

IIRC the ackerman arms are not interchangeable between the low and high pinion 60's. You'd either have to search wrecking yards, see if Dana still offers it new or just convert to cross over steering. The xover steering is a pretty nice upgrade and worth the money I think.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:38 pm

I thought about some type of locker but decided against it as I'm trying to not get too carried away. :) An air locker would be ideal but I don't want to spend the money on one right now. I'm not a fabricator and I'm at a point in life where I don't have a lot of time to do much myself these days so I end up spending more $ on mostly bolt-in solutions or paying other people to do the majority of the heavy lifting. Case in point:

* My motor was rebuilt at a local but well-known performance engine shop, Jim Grubbs Motorsports (JGM) aka JGM Performance Engineering. They've done a lot of builds featured in magazines.

* Transmission was rebuilt by a local transmission shop, Tom's Transmission, that used to specialize in transmissions only but now does more general repairs as well.

* Axle is getting built by a local shop that used to specialize in axles only but now does more general repairs as well (Reeves Complete Auto Care - used to be Reeves Rear End Repair)

* Welding isn't a skill I have, nor do I have the equipment so I call up a buddy who opened his own shop (Royal Crown Customs) here in town that takes care of me. He's handled the small jobs I've had on the tow receiver and floorpans. I bought a Hydroboost and master cylinder from an 87-97 F-450 Superduty since those are the most straight forward to install without buying one of the overpriced kits. I still need to buy the Saginaw pump and mounting bracket. When I do my hydroboost brake upgrade I'll install the hydroboost unit and steering pump and get all the lines built but I'll probably drop the truck off at his place with the 78/79 power steering box I've acquired for him to install after I get the brakes done myself.

I'm trying to do each of these mods:

1 - Dana 60 front axle (power front disc brakes)
2 - Hydroboost brakes
3 - Power steering with a 4 bolt 78/79 4x4 power steering box
4 - Addition of mid 90's F series cab and chassis aft axle gas tank
5 - FiTech fuel injection - 2nd attempt ;)
6 - GearVendors Under/Overdrive

in stages, one at a time, to minimize downtime and the chance of getting overwhelmed and frustrated.

While I do spend a good amount of time on this truck this approach ensures I have time for everything else I need to devote my time to. I've got a PM out to one of the fellas on FTE about acquiring a high pinion D60 steering arm from him. I do still manage to hit the junkyard every once in a while like I did this past Monday. I was looking for an intermittent windshield wiper switch but only found a 2 speed. I grabbed a headlight switch too since I'd like to have an original spare on hand.
Last edited by maddogjohnson on Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:18 am

A truerac or air locker is pricey for sure, but they do work nice. The truetrac's I think are great compromise for a front axle, they're very positive but have much better street manors than a locker and less money than an ARB.

I hear you on farming out some of the work. Sometimes it just makes sense to do it. There are days I wish I could farm out more of the stuff on my projects but I couldn't afford it with too many going at once.

I've heard of Jim Grubb's, does nice work.

Be able to do the project in steps is nice, I've been trying to do the same on the regular cab. A project is a lot more fun when you can still use it while you work on it. A lot of projects have fallen by the wayside when they get to be too involved and it takes so long to make any progress. Plus your build thread is a lot more fun to watch because we get to see pics of your truck being used and mine is all just a bunch of parts laying around in the shop!

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:52 am

Speaking of use of my truck...

Earlier this week I picked up a desk and dresser from some friends who are moving to Oregon. It was raining, actually, it was during a thunderstorm, which is NOT common around here. With temperamental windshields wipers and a thunder/lightning show with rain coming and going sporadically, I didn't even think about snapping pictures. I just wanted to get home as fast as possible without getting everything ruined.

I threw a tarp over everything which limited my top speed to about 30 mph. The only thing holding the tarp down was one front corner I tucked into a drawer that I closed on the dresser. It was only about a mile and a half drive so nothing too exciting other than pulling over once to let another car pass me on the main road between our houses.

I think I mentioned somewhere that I picked up a windshield wiper switch at the junkyard a few weeks back. I need to do a better job of checking my parts stash before I go to the junkyard for things. I don't have a lot of parts but apparently, I already have an extra wiper switch that I just found tonight while looking to see if I have a 90º elbow fitting for my heater hose to manifold. I didn't find a heater fitting but I found the wiper switch along with a bunch of vacuum T's and an extra thermostat housing.

I also found enough good hose clamps to hook up my heater hose, so I bought enough 5/8" hose tonight to get ready for that install. All I need now is the 90º fitting. O'Reilly didn't have any. If no local shops have it I'll stop by NPD in Ventura to get one. I have a gas tank for my Mustang that I may need to return there anyway.

Disable adblock

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:33 pm

I posted some of this in the "What have you done with you crew cab lately" thread, but figured I'd post in my build thread as well. I took some of the family up to play in the snow today. We had the entire campground area we stopped at to ourselves for most of the time. There was at least a foot of new snow that had fallen overnight.

This was taken on arrival:

This was the first experience for our younger two kids to really play in the snow. This pic was taken as we were getting ready to leave. 3 other cars stopped in the campground by the time we headed out. They all got the benefit of the snow clearing and packing I did.

The truck ran great and handled everything fine in 2wd. We took some tire chains with us just in case as were supposed to, but the roads weren't too bad. I only slid a bit when I was goofing off at the campground and while pulling out of my fun little parking spot. Based on the height of my bumper in relation to the snow I'd say there was at most 28-30" in the deepest drift.

I brought a bed full of snow back for my older kids and our neighbors to have fun with.

It's days like these that make me happy to have this old rig.

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:37 am

Nice! Sounds like you had a great time!
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:09 pm

OrthmannJ wrote:Nice! Sounds like you had a great time!

We did enjoy ourselves. All the shoveling and packing I did was a good workout for me and of course, the kids had a lot of fun. It was really nice to have the place to ourselves most of the time.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:31 pm

I've been making progress on getting parts cleaned off and painted.

Gas tank shield getting the braided wire wheel treatment:

Gas tank shield cleaned off and ready for paint. I don't think I took any pics of it in primer:

Gas tank shield painted in semi gloss black:

High pinion Dana 60 front axle BOM#600023-6

Partially stripped of old paint and rust:

With a coating or two of self-etching primer:

First pass with the semi gloss black:

Two coats of semi-gloss black applied from this angle.

I've put a third coat on with the axle oriented this way (upside down), Now I need to flip it over and put on three more coats.

I've found that one of my D60 spindles has enough of a groove that I don't want to use it so I'll be ordering a new set of spindles. I'm still on the hunt for a steering arm since the one on the axle now is cut off (best seen in the left side of the next to last pic). There's been a pretty steady stream of parts showing up for axle rebuild, hydroboost and power steering components, though I'm focusing on completing the axle swap first.

I still need the correct extended brake hoses for the new axle and the correct driver side (ackerman) steering arm. Once I have those I believe I'll have everything needed for the swap. I've decided to not do the u-bolt flip at this time.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:44 am

Other than the half arm that D60 looks like it's in fairly good shape. Doesn't look like it had too much rust or been really abused.

Is that a Bronco tank?

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 pm

Bullistik8v92 wrote:Other than the half arm that D60 looks like it's in fairly good shape. Doesn't look like it had too much rust or been really abused.

Is that a Bronco tank?

The axle is in good shape. The shop had told me there were several broken bolts in the differential cover bolt holes. I'm a little annoyed and relieved at the same time because there were no broken bolts, just caked in dirt into the holes. I chased them all out and they're ready for the cover and bolts to be installed now. A high quality shop would have done more than a cursory glance and figured out what I did after about 30 seconds of checking on bolt holes, that it was just dirt in them. There are additional springs pads welded on to the originals which has a bonus of making my u-bolts not stick down as much to catch on rocks and stuff.

The shield and tank are from a 1993 cab and chassis F-350. They drop right in behind the axle. Same fit as the super camper special aft axle gas tanks and shields that are hard to come by. I found an original super camper special shield in the junkyard at one point last year and sold it for around $200. Considering more that half that price was shipping costs I sold it cheap in comparison to what most OEM/NOS SCS or later model cab and chassis shields sale for from dealers. The lines on the sender were a bit tweaked so I grabbed another sending unit from a truck salvage yard when I was up in NorCal a couple of weeks ago. Conveniently, it had been on the shelf for so long that it had no smell to it and it fit nicely into my carry on luggage so no shipping necessary :)

I have less than $200 in the 93 cab and chassis poly gas tank, shield w/straps and 2 sending units. I have a few pictures of the shield mocked up at the top of page 9 in this thread.

Disable adblock

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”