77 Crewcab Build

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 77 Crewcab Build

Post by Bullistik8v92 »

I got the seat brackets in with the help of some 1/4 longer bolts and a helping hand from above to hold/press! Finished getting the carpet in and it fits pretty good. The molded in heel pad is a little crooked because of the extra tunnel height, but I'll throw floor mats in it once it's ready to drive and it'll be fine. I still need to do the scuff plates, but I'm waiting to get the new weather stripping in and motivation.

I also talked myself into doing a cleat delete on the bed. So I knocked all the nut serts out and cleaned up the holes. Going to make some patches to weld into the holes with a rotabroach and some sheet metal. A friend is stopping by this coming weekend with his nail gun and some other clamps and things so I can straighten all the spots where the cleats used to be. After that I should be getting close to spraying some primer.

Image20210118_123410 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

Console isn't installed yet, I threw it in for mockup. I was originally going to paint it black to match the door panels, but I'm thinking of maybe doing grey. I'm not really sure what to do there yet.

flabmobile
Contributor
Contributor

Post by flabmobile »

Lookin' good. You keep chiseling away and you'll get there. What steering wheel is that? I need one for my F150 and am not sure what direction to go. Any original I have found looks as bad as the one I have. Reproductions are very expensive and everywhere I have looked are out of stock anyway. I was thinking about using a Grant with the quick-release hub and cap to lock over the column. It would be about the same price a repo. From what I can see I like what you are using.

OrthmannJ

Post by OrthmannJ »

Patrick, those seats look fantastic. I thin the console should be grey to match the seats.

flabmobile wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:41 am

Lookin' good. You keep chiseling away and you'll get there. What steering wheel is that? I need one for my F150 and am not sure what direction to go. Any original I have found looks as bad as the one I have. Reproductions are very expensive and everywhere I have looked are out of stock anyway.

:lol: I'm having the same issue!

1973 F-250 Crew Cab
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by Bullistik8v92 »

flabmobile wrote:

Lookin' good. You keep chiseling away and you'll get there. What steering wheel is that? I need one for my F150 and am not sure what direction to go. Any original I have found looks as bad as the one I have. Reproductions are very expensive and everywhere I have looked are out of stock anyway.

I think I used a Speedway brand adapter (the column uses a Chevy upper shaft but they make those same adapters for the Ford column as well, I have one for the 73 Camper Special with a stock column). The wheel is EMPI I bought from a VeeDub parts outfit in town here. I think I've got 175 in all of that. I wanted a wheel that was close to what some of the Mustangs and Cougars had, but the repops were pretty expensive and the EMPI is a nice piece and it feels good.

I would have used a stock wheel but like you, used ones in good shape are rare and repops are expensive. Plus when I bought the new column I went with the version that uses Gm guts in the top simply because the one's with the Ford upper shaft were special order and another 150 bucks.

flabmobile wrote:

I think I used a Speedway brand adapter (the column uses a Chevy upper shaft but they make those same adapters for the Ford column as well, I have one for the 73 Camper Special with a stock column). The wheel is EMPI I bought from a VeeDub parts outfit in town here. I think I've got 175 in all of that. I wanted a wheel that was close to what some of the Mustangs and Cougars had, but the repops were pretty expensive and the EMPI is a nice piece and it feels good.

I would have used a stock wheel but like you, used ones in good shape are rare and repops are expensive. Plus when I bought the new column I went with the version that uses Gm guts in the top simply because the one's with the Ford upper shaft were special order and another 150 bucks.

OrthmannJ wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:55 am

Patrick, those seats look fantastic. I thin the console should be grey to match the seats.

I'm leaning towards grey as well. Originally I thought black, but the more I stare at it the more I think it needs to be grey. I need to order some stainless to build some spacers for the front mount since the floor pan is a little different on the 88.

If FedUp shows up on time I'll be able to fix the throttle pedal this weekend as well. LMC, or anywhere else I looked at, has a pedal rebuild kit or parts for the 80's pedal the previous owners scabbed in this cab. When I was mocking all this up I had thought about cutting that pedal out and starting over but thought, well, it's there and working I'll run it and that came back to bite me! Honestly it was actually functional until the sound deadening, insulation and carpet went in. The pivot pin is not removable, I had to grind off the welded on washer and pull the pedal/arm out and then I adjusted the angle of the arm to give me the travel I needed. Trouble is the bushings are worn out and no one seems to have any replacements, so I got out the book and found some delrin flange bushings that are close enough I think I can make them work.

Next feat will be finding a good tailgate. It has a chinese one on it and it's flimsy and bent.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by Bullistik8v92 »

Worked on the cleat delete today and it's nearly done. Made patches and welded them in all holes where the nutserts used to be. Then had a friend come over with his stud gun and we pulled all the dents out where the cleats used to be and smoothed it up. Got a little carried away and was about half way to metal finishing it. It'll need a skim of filler and be good.

Getting pretty close to primer ready. I'm still having trouble matching the green that's on the truck, I may end up just having to find something thats close and live with it until I'm ready to paint the entire truck.

Image20210123_161732 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

OrthmannJ

Post by OrthmannJ »

You're making good progress Patrick. Just a little at a time.
By the way, what wheel tire are you planning to run on this? Are you going to stick with the Super Duty wheels? Or are you going to do something different?

1973 F-250 Crew Cab
1969 F-100
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1994F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by Bullistik8v92 »

That is a very good question! For now I'm running the tires and wheels that are on it, mostly because I'm still mulling over my suspension plans. And all of that can be done at some point later while I'm driving the truck in the mean time.

In keeping with my theme of trying to make the truck as visually period correct, I'd like to keep the slightly lifted high boy stance, something you might have seen in the late 70's. I'd really like to run a set of slot mags, but the closest thing that I could find is the American Racing Ansen Off-Road, which appears to be discontinued. US Mag has an 8-lug slot mag, but only in 8x6.5 and they have quite a bit of negative offset which may be too much since the axles are wider compared to the stock dentside stuff.

I think I'm leaning towards some Mickey Thompson round hole wheels. While they aren't quite a period looking, I think they are a good option and sort of good all-around option.

I'm also leaning towards a 3.5-4 inch lift and converting the front to 4 link. I think that amount of lift will keep the old school high boy look with 33 or 35's on it.

OrthmannJ

Post by OrthmannJ »

Seems like solid logic! I like the sounds of it.

1973 F-250 Crew Cab
1969 F-100
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1994F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by Bullistik8v92 »

I had to RnR an E4OD in an OBS powerstroke this morning so I didn't get as much time on the crewcab as I'd hoped. But progress was made. I got most of the last bit of body work on the bed done, I've got 2 spots to skim coat and then I can start seriously prepping for primer. Due to the E4OD job I had to get the Nova moveable under it's own power so I think I might move the crewcab over to the 4 post and get the frame liners installed and exhaust buttoned up. I want the weight on the tires so there isn't any funny load on the frame when I put the liners in.

I did also get the throttle pedal modified from extra medium to full throttle. I also found some bushings that had the right OD, got some 1/4 smooth shaft and welded a washer on one end and drilled a hole and used a pin for the other end so it's serviceable. The original pin was splined and an interference fit on the pedal arm and the new pin is the same OD the full length, so I may need to make some spacer bushings to keep the arm centered, but I'll see if it's a problem or not.

I think I found a similar green that is at least passable.

Image20210130_162506 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by Bullistik8v92 »

Worked on some little stuff today. Cleaned up some wiring, started painting the frame liners with POR15, and between prep and the first coat of paint I ripped off all the old door weather stripping. It was some oddball stuff that looked like it was for toolbox doors or something. The fun part was when the ONLY tube of weather strip adhesive I could find was one tube of 3M dried solid and an old tube of Dynacraft that was 15 years old at least. The paint on the tube was all blistered up but popped cap and it was still good! So I commenced to start gluing the front weather strip on and quickly figured out why the paint was blistering off the tube - the glue ate a hole in it!

It'll take a month to get the glue off my hands but I managed to not get it all over the carpet or the seats so that was a win.

Once I get the exhaust finished on the Nova I'll get the crewcab on that lift and do the frame liners and fix the rear wheel seal and swap spots again and start spraying primer.