Got the master switch installed in the door panel. It isn't the most convenient spot but it'll work, and I each door will have it's own crank switch anyway. I went with the black switches so they blend in with the panel as much as possible. Working on finished up installing the door weather stripping, putting on the window tint and running all the wiring into the doors.
Make sure you share some of the finished product/mounted on the door pics when you hit that point.
I was out of town for a little while, but I'm back now and trying to get the doors buttoned up is the priority. I will get some pics before I button up the door panels and make it all disappear!
New Years day progress! Well, sorta. I was able to get all the door weatherstripping done and put the vent window and side glass back in. Worst tint job I've ever done - the shop is fairly air tight, but we had unusually high winds and I guess there was enough dust in the air to cause some problems. It's good enough for now.
Hopefully this weekend I can get the wiring and regulators installed in the front doors and then start on the rear doors.
I haven't had much time lately to work on the CrewCab, but I have finally got some time to do a few little things again. I haven't finished it yet, but I built a heat shield for the air filter, it won't be a sealed box, but it will help keep some of the exhaust heat from being pulled right into the filter. I also had to build a new grill support bracket because the factory one had too steep of an angle and hit the top of the intercooler. I've seen all sorts of ways around this, including running all the stock stamped pieces and crushing the top of the intercooler, but since I already built a new hood latch bracket I figured I might as well build a new grill support bracket too.
I may paint them black to keep a more stock appearance, I haven't decided yet.
I've also been working on the wiring a little, but haven't made a real honest effort on making real progress yet. I do have a bunch of window regulator wiring run. Trying to figure out how to get them into the doors without making it real obvious or cutting stuff up.
After I got my new to me waste oil heater working in the shop I went back to doing some wiring on the crewcab. It's slow, but I am making steady progress. It's all still a mess, everything is just ruffed in so far. I'm slowly starting to get everything routed and figuring out how I want it all to fit. A few more days and hopefully I'll be able to actually start laying the harnesses in neatly.
20200327_193326 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
This is the rear harness. I used the stock 2005 rear chassis harness because I'm also using the factory VSS sensor to run the Dakota Digital speedo and I'm using the stock fuel level sensor as well. I'm also using the factory 4 and 7 way trailer connector and the rear bed light pigtal.
Since I had to stretch the frame I also had to extend the OEM harness. I special ordered wires in the same colors with tracers as the stock harness so it's easier to troubleshoot in the future and also looks more factory as well.
20200328_192324 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
So far this is has been the worst part of the entire wiring project. The drivers door had to have wiring for all 4 window regulators, speaker wire and door lock wiring. I hated to drill that big of a hole in the pillar, but there was simply no other way to make this work. The price I had to pay to make it more modern in function.
20200328_193603 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
The mounting pattern for the old Duraspark module worked perfectly for mounting a relay block. All the trailer wiring will be run off these relays, so the chassis wiring will only be providing the power to the truck lights and everything else will come off the relays. I'll also have a few leftovers as well for whatever I find the need for.
I opted to use the headlight and dimmer switch supplied in the American Autowire kit, but I'm using the original ignition switch and also the original wiper switch since I've got the intermittent wipers. So the next step is pinning out all those OEM connectors and figuring out how to make them work with the AA harness. Once all that is done I'll go back to finishing up the window, door lock and speaker wiring.