Engine Mounts

THE WOOD
Contributor
Contributor

Engine Mounts

Postby THE WOOD » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:54 am

I ordered a set of these mounts last week. They showed up and look good. I noticed in the instructions they mention that a guy will have to add a new slot to the engine towers (not really a big deal). I was wondering if anyone else has used these mounts and what their experience has been like?? I wanted to try these rather than the L&L's. Unfortunately, my engine is not ready yet so I won't be able to try them out for a little while.

http://performanceunlimited.com/customp ... mount.html

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

InfoFord
SR Moderator
SR Moderator

Re: Engine Mounts

Postby InfoFord » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:37 pm

:o these mounts are the the worst ones crap mounts I ever come across
I am shocked that somebody bought a set of these in this internet age and researching is easy

they don't fit the engine correctly and you get to butcher your frame perches for a less then desirable fit

you be better off drilling a set of 390 mounts and using then be cheaper as well

best mount set, is of course my perches and OEM insulators

middle of the road for those don't care about alignment of stuff, L&L

cheap entry level, drilled 390 insulators

crap shoot trash waste of money, performance unlimited insulators

now they may have improved a bit unlikely try and bolt em to the engine using all three holes last set I had only the top two came close and had to egg out the holes alot to get two bolts in and the engine did not sit in the hole correctly my experience is about 10 years old and things change :lol:

THE WOOD
Contributor
Contributor

Postby THE WOOD » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:33 am

Well, this is good news!! These should be really fun to work with!! I guess I can mock them up to the 429 block I have and see if they line up at all on the block and then see how, if at all, they fit on the towers. Trent, I did look at your design, and liked the idea of being able to run mounts that I could buy at the local parts store, but your thread died back in 2009 so there wasn't any other posts of people getting them from you or providing any feedback on them so I wasn't sure what the status of your product was (guess I should have inquired with you directly). Live and learn I guess. I've had L&L's on my 77 for the last 8 years and have not had any problems at 420 hp so maybe I should have just gone the route of something I have used before, but this engine is going to have alot more torque (and hp) so I wanted to get something 'better'. I was going to post this question before I bought them, but the site was down.

Might have to see what Performances' return policy is??.....

InfoFord
SR Moderator
SR Moderator

Postby InfoFord » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:42 pm

sorry to burst your bubble but you did ask for feedback ;)

personally if I did not have my perches or the know how I would use the L&L and build spacers to set the engine correctly and deal with trying to warranty them out every couple of years :roll:
I heard of alot of people say they never had issues with breaking L&L
but my ol wore out 460 tears em up like candy :shock:

I do have to give L&L credit as it was their poor design and poor strength that spurred me to build a better product :twisted:

I do have a set of the performance unlimited mounts in the shop somewhere I would be more then happy to send you for the price of the ride but noway would I even recommend them to use on anything but in a junk drawer to take up space :oops:

and here is a picture of the mounts

left is L&L middle is OEM 460 and right is performance unlimited
which one looks like it will take more abuse

Disable adblock

nastystoys
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby nastystoys » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:04 am

hey infoford what do you think of these engine mounts from autofab? ever see them before? http://www.autofab.com/67-79_ford_truck_4wd.htm i bought these after doing some research and havent found any complaints i didn't install them yet as i'm slowly redoing my truck i should be ready to put the 460 in my 71 f250 4x4 crew cab here in the next couple weeks so i'll be able to tell what my results are with them shortly

InfoFord
SR Moderator
SR Moderator

Postby InfoFord » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:31 pm

no experience with em so no opinion good or bad

I still prefer the OEM insulator over leaf spring bushings but that is just a personal opinion

nastystoys
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby nastystoys » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:29 pm

I haven't tried them out yet but the fitment is good on them when I test fitted them on my frame hoping to be able to put the motor in within 2 weeks so I can post my results ill have a zf5 trans behind the 460 so I can't say how good the lining is until I mount the radiator and support from what I found searching they are good quality and fitment only thing I'm not sure of is how I like the poly bushings some say they prefer them other like oem personal preference on that part

Disable adblock

Return to “Engine”