Front end upgrade

Clutch, Transmission, Rear axel, etc...
Houstoncrew

Front end upgrade

Postby Houstoncrew » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Ok here goes. I jsut bought a 1974 f250 cc 4x4. It has the dana 60 closed knuckles with drum brakes. I would like to upgrade the axles to the 1976 dana 60 with open knuckles and disc brakes. I would also like to do the power steering upgrade that I saw at "Discount Steering" My question is, from what years could I use another dana 60? What about a dana 44hd? And is there a diffence wether the diff came out of a regular cab? I would like to give myself the best chance of finding a donor. I would perfer that this swap be a bolt up with no mods

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

nastystoys
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: Front end upgrade

Postby nastystoys » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Any front Dana 44 or Dana 60 is swappable for the most part. Any 67-79 axle you can bolt in. BUT depending if its a high or low pinion you may have to lengthen/ shorten the driveshaft. But usually that's with people messing around with lifting it at the same time as a axle swap. As long as you don't use an axle newer then 79 it fits no problem. Front frame width is the same up to 79. I have a 71 crew and swapped out the stock Dana 44 low pinion closed knuckle to a Dana 44 high pinion open knuckle out of a 79 bolts right in. I'm rebuilding a Dana 60 front open knuckle high pinion out of a 79 now to replace the 44 and will bolt right in just need to mess with the steering setup to make it work ill be doing crossover steering on my truck.

Return to “Drivetrain”