Haven't updated this thread in a while, and honestly I haven't done a ton to this truck and haven't driven it much either. I am finally starting to make some progress on this project as well, but like normal ran into a snag. I started to mockup the 390 I'm building to swap into this and found out I have one of the last small thrust bearing blocks.......soooooo I had to special order another bearing kit which I'm waiting on. But the block is on the stand and the crank is cleaned and ready to install. I did get all the oil passages in the block brushed out and all the plugs installed. Also got the cam installed. Had a custom grind from Comp done. Fairly mild hydraulic roller.
Got the narrow thrust bearing kit in today so I zipped over to the shop and put all the bearings in and checked all the clearances. Everything came out right where it should be for a daily driver, .002-.0025 so I cleaned everything up again and got the crank installed.
I started checking ring gaps but didn't get too excited since I had to order the right size ring compressor. But at least it's making progress.
Made a little progress on the Camper Special. The long block is assembled and I found a nice Street Master intake and fit that up today. I need to clean it up, someone painted it with bomb can silver. Thinking I might just have it ceramic coated. Fortunately it is unported or otherwise modified. There aren't many current production intakes that are all that good for this application. The Performer 390 isn't much better than a stock truck 2v manifold. The Street Master and Street Dominators are really good manifolds.
Also, for anyone interested, the Hooker 6903 headers will fit pickups and also fit passenger car exhaust ports such as the C1AE heads that I used or any of the aftermarket aluminum heads. I was lucky that Barry Robotnik used a set on his Engine Masters engine this year and was able to buy them when he was done so I knew that the ports matched.
Man, every time I see one of those manifolds it just shocks me how big they are!
Yeah they are pretty enormous. One of the reasons why, among semi-traditional hot rod stuff, FE intake selection is one of the more difficult engines to find a good intake for. In fact there have been books written about nothing but intake selection (Jay Brown's The Great FE Intake Comparo). It's not often you'd see a single plane intake on a work truck and have it work well!
The intake is at the machine shop getting the head sides milled slightly, just to make sure they're flat. I may have it ceramic coated, not sure yet if I want it shiney or blue.
That's a tough one, but I think I would lean towards blue.
After some thought I ended up having it coated. A Performer RPM with the logo ground off looks fairly stock and I would have gone blue. A Performer RPM is also still in production so if you get some corrosion who cares? The intake I decided to run on this is long out of production and there really isn't a modern replacement. So I had it ceramic coated so it's easy to clean and prevents any further corrosion. I'm also blocking the heat crossover which will help.
I need some new intake bolts and it's ready to install.
FE intakes are pretty famous for not sealing well and creating vacuum leaks into the valley, etc. Test fitting the intakes are very important and often even brand new manifolds need machine work. I ended up taking 14 tho off each flange to get them pretty flat. There are a couple small spots that didn't quite clean up at 14, but not enough to worry about. Re-test fit and had plenty of clearance to the china wall, I finally had enough of the correct length bolts so I screwed it together and the manifold is on permanently. Now I need to start ordering some valve train parts. I've got rockers and shafts, need stands, push rods and I'm probably going to run shims to get the rocker tip location correct.