1976 460 Electric Choke hookup

ohmyf150
Guru
Guru

1976 460 Electric Choke hookup

Postby ohmyf150 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:59 pm

My truck had a manual choke and I picked up a rebuilt Motorcraft 4350 carb that is from a 1978 460 that has electric choke. I have read that I should hook the electric choke up to the stator terminal on the alternator as it give it less volts than a direct 12 volt hookup. Can anyone tell me if this is correct and can someone confirm if the White/Black wire going to the regulator from the alternator is the stator wire I should tap into?
I know I can look at the alternator to see where the wire goes but I have to pull the alternator off to see and I'm feeling lazy... :lol:

Thanks!

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

ohmyf150
Guru
Guru

Re: 1976 460 Electric Choke hookup

Postby ohmyf150 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:33 pm

OK, the wire colors that attach to the alternator do not match those at the regulator. :?: I am pretty sure this harness is original but who knows... anyway, I was looknig for the S terminal on the regulator and I cannot see that anywhere so here is what the regulator looks like with the harness plugged in. Is it the yellow, green/black, or orange wire?

Crackpot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crackpot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Sometimes you can unbolt the unit and the S will be marked on the bottom.

It should be the Green and Red wire, but check before you burn the truck down.
Attachments
ford-alternator-wiring-diagram.jpg
(33.23 KiB) Downloaded 2191 times
1971 F250 Crew Cab 4X4
For all your Salmon Fishing in Oregon http://www.kellyshortoutdoors.com
http://www.oldfordcrewcabs.com

bendog
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby bendog » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:39 pm

When I hooked up my dads choke on his 460, I just used a test light and found out which alt terminal was hot ONLY when the engine is running. If you hook it to a key on hot, without the engine running, pulling air through the choke coil to keep it cool, it'll burn out the coil. So if you turn on the radio but not the engine you burn out the choke. Dunno about any reduced voltage terminal on the alt. I just made a new wire to go between the alt and choke.
76 CC F-250 4X4, custom, cummins/nv4500. Driving it now, constantly under construction.

Disable adblock

ohmyf150
Guru
Guru

Postby ohmyf150 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:50 am

For anyone needing to do this, there was a spot for this right on the harness as shown below. The wire you want to use is white with a blue stripe. It is connected to the stator terminal on the alternator and only delivers 7 volts. I have read that the OE chokes were made to work with this lower voltage. I don't think 12V would hurt it but it may be faster opening. Hooked it up and works like a charm! It starts on a cold morning (0C this AM) and the choke opens up when it should. Damn, being able to pump once, turn the key and it starts right up is sure nice!

Disable adblock

Return to “Electrical and Wiring”