help on taillight/brake wiring

rdfunke
Part Timer
Part Timer

help on taillight/brake wiring

Postby rdfunke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:36 pm

So I have been trying to figure out why the turn signal and brake light on the drivers side do not work on my 67 crew. The drivers side front will flash when turned on. Nothing at the back when turned on and no brake light when applied. The only thing I can figure is the contact in the column is malfunctioning. Can the switch in the column go bad and how hard is it to replace? This is the only thing that I can think of that might be bad. I have tried everything else I could think of. Passenger side works fine.

Not an expert by any means but do know a little about wiring.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

reganswan

Re: help on taillight/brake wiring

Postby reganswan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:27 pm

First thing you need to do is take the lens off the rear light and make sure that the housing is grounded and that the bulb sockets have power. You can do both at the same time with a test light. Just ground the light to the housing, put the screws that hold the lens on back in, take the bulbs out, and test the pins for power. If you do, you have an intermittant ground, or your bulbs are bad. If you do not, I would check the plug that feeds it all under the brake booster....the other thing that can fail is the brake light switch itself.

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:33 pm

Sounds similar to a problem I had on mine. I also had a similar problem on my 78 Bronco. On the Bronco it was a bad turn signal switch. When I found the problem on my Crew I figered "Bad turn signal switch". Replaced the turn signal switch (which is a bit of a process) and still had the problem. Wound up being a bad socket in the tail light assembly itself.
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

rdfunke
Part Timer
Part Timer

Postby rdfunke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:36 pm

I have checked power to the socket up jumping wires under the dash and have figured out that the wires are all good. Socket is also good and have new bulbs. Brake light on passenger side works but am not sure if driver and passenger are on same circuit or seperate.

Disable adblock

InfoFord
SR Moderator
SR Moderator

Postby InfoFord » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:39 am

Tailights are are on a common wire

Brake lights are on a seperate wire for each side as it does double duty as a turn signal

if you verify the tailights come on then nothing is wrong with the light switch

unplug the turn signal switch and manaully feed power into the plug turning on each light
you will have four to turn on left front right front left rear right rear dash ones is tied to the front ones but go out and visal each one

if you can get all them to turn on by using a jumper wire then your signal switch is bad

rdfunke
Part Timer
Part Timer

Postby rdfunke » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:07 am

I figured out that it is the turn signal switch. It has a bad contact for the drivers side rear. I replaced the switch and everything works.
Thanks for all the info.

Disable adblock

Return to “Electrical and Wiring”