Your latest Regular Cab adventure

OrthmannJ

Re: Your latest Regular Cab adventure

Post by OrthmannJ »

My daily driver 96 crew cab has been sidelined for over a month, so I have been driving the F-100 pretty much everyday.

I got some neat photos right before Easter when the boys and I went for a drive up in the hills above our place.

IMG_4155.JPG

Easter morning Sunrise from the same location

IMG_4265.JPG

A couple of weeks ago one of my coworkers drove his 53 Dodge "Job Rated" half ton to work.

IMG_3892 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3877 - Copy.JPG

One Saturday the boys and the dog and I went for a drive. We ended up in the lower valley. We stopped by the old Wapato train depot and poked around.

IMG_4252.JPG
IMG_4251.JPG

This past weekend we went to the local nursery and got some flowers for Mommy's garden.

IMG_4744.JPG
IMG_4746.JPG

1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

flabmobile
Contributor
Contributor

Post by flabmobile »

I'll start posting when there is something worthwhile to see. Right now it is just a pile of parts splattered all over the garage, and I'm pretty certain that everyone on this site knows what that mess looks like. It is coming apart well. I have only had to cut one bolt that was rusted in place and found one wiring harness to the rear tail lights that was eaten through by a mouse. ( God Bless all you guys in PA or WA that have to contend with rust at every turn! ). I will be able to reuse all of the original hardware which will save a bunch of time searching for the right stuff when it goes back together. It should be at the paint shop by the end of the month and I'll freshen up the engine while the carcass is gone. It should be a pretty simple rebuild. The engine only has 19,000-miles on it since new and it was running great when I parked it. A 460 with stock bore, stroke and compression. Balanced with a bunch of machine work to the heads and a pretty big cam. Sounds real chunky and pulls like a mule. It Dyno tested at 451-hp and 660-ft. lbs. torque at the flywheel which is pretty respectable for pump gas at 5,300-feet elevation. Probably just re-seat the valves, hone, new rings, bearings and seals and we'll be good to go. I may get rid of the carb and go with either a Holly Sniper or Fi-Tech injection. I need to do some research since I am not familiar with either system. (suggestions and experience feedback would be welcome if anyone has any input) It is going to get headers this time if I can find a set to fit. The rest will just be replacing fuel lines, brake lines and the normal routine stuff. Nothing a thousand trips to NAPA can't fix. No custom fabrication or re-engineering anything.

I will say that after the last 20-years working on all my newer rides, this project is pretty relaxing. These things are so simple. No computers or sensors or any other complicated nonsense. This entire project can be done with an $80 set of basic hand tools and very little head-scratching. If you had Legos or an Erector set when you were a kid, you can figure out an old Ford truck.

Stay tuned....I'll post some photos when it starts to go back together.

OrthmannJ

Post by OrthmannJ »

Awesome. Looking forward to it flabmobile.

1969 F-100
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by Bullistik8v92 »

flabmobile wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:29 am

I'll start posting when there is something worthwhile to see. Right now it is just a pile of parts splattered all over the garage, and I'm pretty certain that everyone on this site knows what that mess looks like. It is coming apart well. I have only had to cut one bolt that was rusted in place and found one wiring harness to the rear tail lights that was eaten through by a mouse. ( God Bless all you guys in PA or WA that have to contend with rust at every turn! ). I will be able to reuse all of the original hardware which will save a bunch of time searching for the right stuff when it goes back together. It should be at the paint shop by the end of the month and I'll freshen up the engine while the carcass is gone. It should be a pretty simple rebuild. The engine only has 19,000-miles on it since new and it was running great when I parked it. A 460 with stock bore, stroke and compression. Balanced with a bunch of machine work to the heads and a pretty big cam. Sounds real chunky and pulls like a mule. It Dyno tested at 451-hp and 660-ft. lbs. torque at the flywheel which is pretty respectable for pump gas at 5,300-feet elevation. Probably just re-seat the valves, hone, new rings, bearings and seals and we'll be good to go. I may get rid of the carb and go with either a Holly Sniper or Fi-Tech injection. I need to do some research since I am not familiar with either system. (suggestions and experience feedback would be welcome if anyone has any input) It is going to get headers this time if I can find a set to fit. The rest will just be replacing fuel lines, brake lines and the normal routine stuff. Nothing a thousand trips to NAPA can't fix. No custom fabrication or re-engineering anything.

I will say that after the last 20-years working on all my newer rides, this project is pretty relaxing. These things are so simple. No computers or sensors or any other complicated nonsense. This entire project can be done with an $80 set of basic hand tools and very little head-scratching. If you had Legos or an Erector set when you were a kid, you can figure out an old Ford truck.

Stay tuned....I'll post some photos when it starts to go back together.

I have experience with both. In Maddog's build thread I have some pics of a FiTech installed on a 460 I swapped into a 79 2wd regular cab (I think they're in my Flickr account somewhere). Have also used FAST, BigStuff and MegaSquirt. They all have positive and negatives. I do really like the FiTech for simple installs on a non hot rod. I will say that since you will have the engine apart anyway that I would HIGHLY suggest having a cam custom ground and let them know you'll be running a self tuning EFI system. I ALWAYS use custom ground cams these days for a lot of reasons, and one is you can make the same power and make the EFI work better with a custom ground cam.

OrthmannJ

Post by OrthmannJ »

Since it was mentioned, I figured I might as well ask:
I've been considering an EFI swap for my F-100. It's a stock 360. I'm planning to switch to a 4 barrel intake and am weighing the cost differences between a good 4 barrel carb and fuel injection. All the Hot Rod garage/Roadkill shows etc show the host plopping a FiTech on the intake and making a few keystrokes on a laptop and boom it's running like a top. I know that's editing, but what are the potential issues of running a stock cam?

1969 F-100
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by Bullistik8v92 »

OrthmannJ wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:59 am

Since it was mentioned, I figured I might as well ask:
I've been considering an EFI swap for my F-100. It's a stock 360. I'm planning to switch to a 4 barrel intake and am weighing the cost differences between a good 4 barrel carb and fuel injection. All the Hot Rod garage/Roadkill shows etc show the host plopping a FiTech on the intake and making a few keystrokes on a laptop and boom it's running like a top. I know that's editing, but what are the potential issues of running a stock cam?

With FitTech there is NO laptop needed. Same for Sniper. You bolt it on, run your fuel system and answer a couple basic questions in a touch screen and your done. Stock cam is the absolute EASIEST to make work with a self learning EFI system. The reason is all these "Selflearning" bolt on EFI kits are basically a speed density system (same principle Ford's first gen EFI used like on the 351 and 460s). This system relies on manifold vacuum as it's underlying tuning table. Since it sort of cross references that with the o2 sensor it's not as sensitive as the stock Ford EFI which had a set map with very little adjustability.

The more aggressive the engine build is and the less average manifold vacuum you have the harder it is for these self learning EFI systems to maintain the correct A/F.

As I've mentioned before there are a couple drawbacks to systems like the FiTech or Sniper. However, on stock to average guy builds they work fine and I've used a lot of them. As power level goes up I don't like them as much and prefer something that has more features. Higher end EFI systems like the HP/Dominator can still be used in self learn mode, but what I like is you don't have to ONLY use self learn. If you don't want to or have the ability to tune with a laptop you can use the self learn mode. You drive for a bit and then save the self learn data as the base map. Then with your new base map you drive in self learn mode again and save that as the base map. After a few sessions you'll have a pretty decent map, then you can turn off self-tune and run it off the base map or run it off the base map with self tune still on but give it some limits on how much it can tune away from the base map. On stock/mild builds it doesn't matter really because the engine will run like crap before it hurts itself if the computer tried to tune itself off a cliff.

IMO, with a stock 360 there will be little gain in anything other than headers and a properly curbed distributor. The stock 2 barrel manifold is pretty good. The only other option that's decent for a stock 360 is a T or S iron manifold. The currently available aftermarket manifolds will actually hinder performance more than help it. With the exception of maybe the Performer 390 which is a fairly terrible manifold but wouldn't hurt a 360.

All that is a longwinded way of saying yes a FiTech or Sniper will work perfectly on a stock 360 and that is really what those EFI kits were DESIGNED for.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by Bullistik8v92 »

Had the old F350 out for a bit of work. Got a deal on a pretty much unused waste oil heater and it was too good to pass up. But I had to move it out of the building it was in. Turns out it was completely full too. So I had to lift the heater off the tank, then load the heater and tank. Shortly after I got the heater home and set up I was at the company I used to work for (family run business and I'm still friends with the shop foreman and the owner) pilfering some parts and I was BSing with my old shop manager and mentioned the heater. Turns out they're getting charged to have the oil pumped out so I told him I'd empty their tank. So Sandford went back to pump out about 500 gallons of waste oil.

Sandford oil heater - small.jpg
Sandford Oil -small.jpg

The second pic the 275 gallon tote is still in the bed full and you can't really see them, but theres a bunch of full drums as well. I haven't gotten around to unloading that yet!

OrthmannJ

Post by OrthmannJ »

Thanks for the insight Bullistik.

1969 F-100
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

OrthmannJ

Post by OrthmannJ »

Went to the grocery store the other day on my lunch break. Saw this straight F-100 in the lot. I couldn't resist taking the closest parking spot and snapping a few photos.

IMG_5326.JPG
IMG_5327.JPG
IMG_5328.JPG
IMG_5329.JPG
IMG_5330.JPG
IMG_5331.JPG

1969 F-100
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

OrthmannJ

Post by OrthmannJ »

We went for a cruise to get some ice cream on my youngest son's birthday. We met his grandparents and he wore his new F-100 Bumpside shirt that he got for his birthday in his favorite color of green.

IMG_5354.JPG

1969 F-100
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4