1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Shift1
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Postby Shift1 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 am

OrthmannJ wrote:
Shift1 wrote:Mine doesn't have rear door locks. Come to think of it, I have never tried to lock my doors before.

I don't know why, but that made me laugh my buns off.

Glad to help. I don't leave my truck sitting outside of my view or my shop pretty much ever.
Rides:
1974 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed 4x4 460/4spd
1953 Ford F-100 Custom-- Current project --on Explorer Frame.
1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible Custom
2014 Lincoln MKZ Wife's
2016 Ford Focus -- Daughter's
2003 Lincoln LS --- Daughter's

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Wed May 16, 2018 4:59 pm

I took the truck when my oldest son and I went camping last Friday. I almost didn't make it. :shock:

At lunch time I took the truck over to the engine shop across town to show it to the owner who wanted to see it on the road. As I got close to his shop it seemed like I could smell something burning. I wasn't sure if it was the semi truck in front of me or my truck until I started to see smoke coming out from the top of my dash!

I pulled into the shop parking lot and shut down the truck. I borrowed a 9/16 socket and phillips screwdriver so I could pull off the instrument cluster and found the wire that was heating up. I believe one of my no longer necessary duraspark ignition wires was grounding on the engine or coil and heating up the pink resistor wire. After doing a bit of wiring clean up in the parking lot that I should have already done, I was good to go. I made it back home without incident and loaded up the truck to go camping.

Camping was great. We were only about 15 minutes from our house but the weather was great and we had a nice time. I received quite a few compliments on the truck.

This morning I took the truck over to get the drivers side floor pan replaced and to get the 4" hole in the firewall above the gas pedal welded up.

I should have it back tomorrow night or Friday morning.

Shift1
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Shift1 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:41 am

You are lucky. I have witnessed guys pull over because of smoke coming out of dash, and by the time they get to the side of the road, the cab is engulfed in flames. Having a fire extinguisher in any vehicle I work on wiring is kind of a must (I'm learning, but no wiring expert), and I still think it would be used just to get myself and passengers out of the cab in time.
Rides:
2014 Lincoln MKZ Wife's

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 am

Man, that sounds scary.
I had a similar experience in my Bronco once. Scared the daylights out of me.
Glad to hear it all worked out in the end.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time camping. I'm glad to hear that you are out enjoying it.
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Disable adblock

Bullistik8v92
Guru
Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:20 pm

With electrical stuff it's a good idea to pull the battery cable asap when you see smoke. Glad it wasn't too serious.

It's cool that the first trip the truck really made in service was with you can your son.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm

I did a run to the dump last Friday to get rid of a bunch of old exhaust systems I had taken off previous project trucks. I also threw in as much old rotted wood as I could from an old treehouse that I started to tear down.

Yesterday I dropped off a kids play structure at the Salvation Army. Broken down, it filled just about the entire bed of the truck. I'll be dropping off the pallet that the SkyJacker lift kit came on at a friends house in the morning and then I'll be heading out to acquire whatever parts I think I need from a 76 F-250 that is being parted out. I should make a list so I don't end up buying a buying a bunch of stuff I don't really need.

I should put the FiTech fuel injection system on, but the truck is running really well with the carburetor on it. Plus, I want to get the speedometer working first so I can get some MPG readings with the carburetor on it. Maybe I'll try to replace the speedometer cable in the morning before I start the day's activities.

Shift1
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Shift1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:44 am

You could just go drive a known distance to figure out mpg. The speedo probably won't be accurate anyway.

I would be curious if you get any gains from the FItech. I believe it is hard to beat a well tuned carb. The difference is when you drive in many various conditions that the carb doesn't compensate for. If you drive around the same town all the time, you may not notice a gain.

Fuel economy is more determined from the rpm of the engine. Bigger gains would come from adding overdrive.

At today's gas prices, if you can get a gain from 8 to 10 mpg, it takes 10k miles to offset each $1000 spent.
Rides:
2014 Lincoln MKZ Wife's

Bullistik8v92
Guru
Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 am

The Speedometer apps for the smartphones are reasonably accurate, close enough to get your speedo dialed in. That's how I figured out what speedo gear I needed on the 73 RC when I switched to 16" wheels and metric tires. It would be curious to see what kind of mileage difference you get with the injection. The last 3 Ford's I did EFI swaps on all gained some mileage, but mileage gains have as much to do with the driver as anything. The 460/C6 motorhome picked up about 1mpg. The 390 with a NP435 in it picked up about 2.5.

Honestly I don't care too much about the mileage so much as the consistency the EFI has. I have a lot of stuff with carbs still and they're find if built properly. But there is a lot to be said for even the "entry level" EFI kits like the FiTech. Every day of the year the start the same, they idle the same, etc.

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:48 am

Bullistik8v92 wrote:Honestly I don't care too much about the mileage so much as the consistency the EFI has. I have a lot of stuff with carbs still and they're find if built properly. But there is a lot to be said for even the "entry level" EFI kits like the FiTech. Every day of the year the start the same, they idle the same, etc.

That's something that has me very intrigued for a while now. I like the idea of the consistency. I think that if I were to build an old rig for a DD from the ground up EFI would be a must.
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:10 pm

Startup and performance with the carburetor has been really reliable so far. I had the carburetor rebuilt a few years back by a local shop that specializes in carburetors. I pulled it off my Mustang which sadly hasn't run in about a year because of the parts I robbed off it to get this truck on the road. At this point, I probably need to pull the gas tank out of the Mustang to get rid of the old gas that I never put stabilizer in. If I'm taking the tank out I might as well put in an EFI tank right?

I run errands here and there in the truck. Last night I took the pallet that the SkyJacker lift kit came on to a friend who will break it up and burn it. Driving down the dirt road to her house sure did help identify all the squeaks and rattles that I'll want to eliminate. After putting the sound deadener in the driver's side door I was unable to get all of the door clips back on because the mounting points on the door panel are broken off. I don't think I have any of the front three clips in place so the driver's side door panel rattles driving down any road unless I put my leg against the panel to keep it from moving. The rear driver's side door is also not adjusted properly on the striker so it rattles pretty good too. Has anyone here used fiberglass to repair the clip areas on their door panels?

Anyway, this morning I ran lots of water bottles to recycling and dropped off a few items at Goodwill to get the bed of the truck empty for its next assignment. Carting away this old treehouse that I tore down today. Those are 12x12 posts.

I took the plywood sheeting off and carted it to the dump a few weeks ago. Today was the dismantling of the rest of the beast.

In this pic you can tell that the rear is sagging a bit with all that weight in it. At one point when I loaded the heaviest piece my son said he could see the truck lower as I put it in.

You can also see that I've swapped the rear bumper off my 73 regular cab onto the crew cab. It's just held on with a single bolt on each side right now. I need to buy all new grade 8 hardware to attach it properly. It needs to go closer to the body and up a bit higher.

I also plan on swapping the tailgates between the trucks so the crew cab will have a white tailgate on the yellow body instead of the black tailgate. The white tailgate is in better shape.

Disable adblock

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”