1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:57 am

I have mixed feelings about flexfans, but they're better than a direct drive or a poorly working clutch! Only 85 LoL that's about exactly twice as hot as it was here today. I also didn't have much needle movement on the 360 but that's because it takes so long to warm up!

I hear you on the wiring, I'm about to start that project on mine. The regular cab actually has pretty good/unmolested wiring, but the dump truck is another story entirely. Every time I drive it something randomly starts or stops working.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:12 pm

Bullistik8v92 wrote:Every time I drive it something randomly starts or stops working.

:lol: sounds familiar...
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:45 pm

Things have been pretty quiet. I did get the tow hitch fixed up so that it's structurally sound to tow with. I debated between a Curt # C14082 and working with what was already on the truck. The hitch already on the truck is welded in place quite well and has a 2" drop vs the Curt 14082 so I figured it was better to retain the existing hitch and find a way to make it work.

Before photo (poor quality):

I used a cutoff wheel to cut the welded seam between the old, white bumper and hitch so that I could do the bumper swap.

This left a big gap that made me not want to use the tow hitch for anything besides a bike rack.

I finally got around to picking up some 1/4" thick 2" x 1.5" angle iron so it could be welded to the top of the existing structure and flush against the bottom of the bumper.

Holes are drilled in the top of the angle iron to match the holes in the bumper.

Now I need to get the proper size bolts for the holes to snug it up against the bumper and redo the wiring with more modern plugs before I really use it.

Next up finally getting around to installing the FiTech EFI.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Hitch is looking good, nice to have a solid receiver!

That is a "modern" plug, but it's an industrial plug. If you want to haul a semi trailer the round pin is what it takes.

The flat pin 7-way plugs are "RV" plugs. Funny thing is a lot of smaller commercial trailers, like heavy GVW goosenecks, are mostly using the RV style plug. I think it's a better design myself, the pins don't get loose as easy and if they do a quick twist with a flatblade will tune them right up!

Nothing wrong with a well tuned carb, but the FiTech sure will be nice. Are you going to use a Fuel Command deal or modify the fuel tank?

Disable adblock

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:41 am

Nice to see some progress on this rig. I like the idea of fuel injection as an upgrade. Less maintenance and should aid efficiency slightly.
1969 F-100
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:49 pm

I've been miserably sick but I've done a bit the last few days. Nothing on the trailer plug wiring, just FiTech related. For the FiTech I'm utilizing the v1 fuel command center. I ordered the system close to 18 months ago and finally have gotten around to trying to install it.

Here's everything before installation:

Quick and dirty command center mount to the drivers side inner fender just high enough so that there's a gap between the top of the inner fender and the bottom of the command center unit. I had to use an 11/16" drill bit to drill the two holes I am utilizing right now.

For the O2 sensor, I had a bung welded into the exhaust that has just had a plug in it up until now. I removed the plug and screwed in the O2 sensor.

Since I plan on running the fuel command center the Return port on the FiTech throttle body (rear passenger side) needs to be plugged. Unfortunately, my kit did not have a return port plug or extra inlet port plug so that stalled my progress.

Fuel command center close up:

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:40 pm

Never a good time being sick, but working on the FI will make you feel a little better!

I think if you don't have a second battery the location you put the fuel commander is the best spot on these trucks. I have used both versions of the fuel commander. I wish they had a "side mount" option on the V2 so you could either mount it like the round V1 or use the foot that the V2 has.

Glad to see you're making progress!

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 pm

I got the FiTech on and sort of running. Mostly it was an exercise in frustration. I didn't have a return port plug in my kit so I went to a local auto parts store and bought a -6 AN plug to cap off the return port. Not the most elegant solution, but it allowed me to keep moving forward.

I got the system installed and wired correctly. The truck would fire right up and idle for about 5 seconds before dying. I don't think I took any pictures of the fully wired system with the fuel lines running to it so this is the best pic I have.

After a chat with FiTech support, they thought my blue wire to the negative side of the coil was getting interference. They asked me to put some aluminum foil between the blue wire and the FiTech throttle body. Once I did that the truck would idle for more than 5 seconds.

Next up was trying to get the IAC steps reading down to the 3-10 range. I spent way too much time trying to get the truck to idle for more than about 60 seconds, so I could get the truck up to operating temperature to tune the IAC steps. Sadly, my handheld controller fell when I hopped out of the truck at one point and cracked the screen. It no longer allowed me to make any adjustments to my settings. :evil:

So now I had a cracked handheld controller, a goofy looking return port plug and no way to fine tune my FiTech unit. :(

The next morning I drove down to FiTech's headquarters and was given a return port plug, inlet port plug and handheld controller.

After getting home, I wiped the configs to the out of the box tune and started all over. I replaced the distributor to throttle body vacuum line and made sure all the other vacuum ports had new rubber caps. After another chat with FiTech support and a few idle screw adjustments to the point where I was "idling" at ~3,000 RPM they concluded that I have a vacuum leak that is causing the engine to stall out and die with the FiTech EFI on it.

My best guess is that it is because I do not have a PCV hooked up from the rear passenger side valve cover to rear of the throttle body, or a breather cap on the drivers side valve cover.

I pulled the Fitech throttle body off and reinstalled the carburetor while I iron out the vacuum leak. I can hear the vacuum leak with the carburetor on it when I let off the accelerator after hard acceleration. I have a Motorcraft PCV valve on order that should arrive later this week.

When putting the carburetor back on I did take the time, with the help of my youngest daughter, to really get the throttle linkage adjusted so that the butterflies in the carb could open to WOT. The overall throttle response and power level are definitely better.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Not the smoothest start to the EFI project. Sorry it didn't go a little easier.

While you are troubleshooting, I would check to see if you are pulling a vacuum in the valley. With FE's it's not uncommon to have an intake gasket slip out of place or fail and you'll get a vacuum leak into the valley. Usually you'll start burning some oil, but if it's a small leak/just starting to fail it might not be pulling oil yet.

Which kit did you get, the 400hp or the 600hp version? I've installed a lot of the 400hp kits on stock/stock-ish engines from 352 to 460's and one thing I've found is I usually have to massage some of the non self-learning parameters like the after start enrichment because the 400hp version comes tuned for a SBC 350 crate motor. But once that's done you're golden. The 600hp version will sometimes have enough fuel in the base map already for crank/after start, etc.

Handy that you're close enough to drive to FiTech's front door.

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:28 am

Bullistik8v92 wrote:
Handy that you're close enough to drive to FiTech's front door.

I was thinking the same thing.
1969 F-100
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Disable adblock

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”