1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Postby maddogjohnson » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:58 pm

It was about an 85 mile drive to get to FiTech but since it was the day after Christmas there was hardly anyone on the road so it only took about an hour and ten minutes. During peak traffic times that same drive could take three hours.

I've started working towards getting the heater/defroster in working order. I figure I should have that working if I decide to head up into the mountains this winter. :) The blower motor is new and works fine. The first simple step was hooking up the ground wire in the engine compartment and jumping power to the blower motor directly from the battery to ensure the ground was good. I've got all the wiring diagrams for a 1973 and 1978 model year but I'm not sure of the similarities or differences between those years and 1975, particularly in the wire colors and relay switches. Next, I've got to verify the rest of the wiring to the instrument panel and the various vacuum lines.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:03 pm

I think for regular heat only there were not many changes in wiring until maybe the 78's. But I'm not 100% certain on that.

Heat and defrost sure is nice when it's cold! You can't drive faster for any relief from cold, it only makes it worse.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:28 pm

My wife and older kids were out late last night so after the younger kids got into bed and were asleep I did a little bit of parts stash cleanup. I threw away some small pieces I forgot I had like an old clutch throwout bearing (don't have a manual trans truck anymore), old brake hardware and things like that. I found my drivers side upper grill bracket and installed it.

That reminded me that I should get my front passenger parklight and blinker working. It never has worked and that has bothered me. A few months back I acquired a complete set of front and rear parklights, tailights, and side marker sets. Some simple testing proved that voltage was getting to the light socket but the power was not properly getting transferred to the bulb. Cleaning off corrosion and fiddling with the contact points didn't make a difference so I cut out the old socket and wired in one of the replacements sockets I had on hand. Once I got it wired up the parklight and blinker started working.

I haven't been much for taking and posting pictures lately so here's this one of the front end. Looking back thru my history of pictures I realize that I don't really have any good front shots.

Clear Lens day:

I switched over from clear parking lenses with amber bulbs to amber parking lenses with amber bulbs and that was my night.

Amber Lens night:
Last edited by maddogjohnson on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Even small amounts of progress is still progress!
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Disable adblock

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:14 pm

I was always a fan of the amber lenses and 73-74 grill inserts. That is a good looking truck right there!

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:04 am

Agreed!
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Thanks guys, I think it looks good with the amber lenses.

I've been contemplating upgrading to hydroboost braking, off a 1987-1997 F450 Superduty, but if I'm going to do that then I should have disc brakes in front. (4 wheel drums aren't really the brakes to have for hydroboost) If I'm looking for disc brakes they might as well be with a high pinion dana 60 front axle that has 4.10 gears. I've had a few leads on 78/79 high pinion dana 60 front axles over the last few months but nothing that I've been compelled enough to purchase.

On Friday I found a 1978 supercab in the LA area that was listed for sale as being parted out with a high pinion dana 60 front axle with 4.10 gears and a locker. I got in touch with the seller expressing my interest in the front axle and a bunch of other parts. He then said he's trying to sale the truck complete first. I was heading down to San Diego for the day Saturday and said I'd try to stop by. I was tight on time and ended up not being able to stop by on the way down and got a text that the truck was sold while I was on my way back up north.

I went home a little bummed. Later that night I saw that another FTE member I keep in touch with, who lives a few miles from me, had posted a 78 F-250 4x4 for sale on Saturday with a high pinion dana 60 front axle that has 3.54 gears. I reached out to him and discovered that he's selling the 78 F-250 regular cab 4x4 because he just bought a 78 supercab 4x4 with 4.10 dana 60 axles. I said, "oh the white one down in Corona?" He finished the sentence, "with a service body"... Yup... We laughed since we were both pursuing the same truck. I had no intention of buying the entire truck so I'm happy he got it. I'll probably keep looking for a 4.10 geared high pinion 78-79 front dana 60 though my truck does steer really nice now and I'm not much for taking something good and messing it up so I'm not sure when I might actually make a move here.

Of course, if I do disc front I might as well do disc rear too, right? https://www.quickperformance.com/Ford-9-Inch-Rear-Explorer-Disc-Brake-Kit-With-Shoe-Style-Park-Brake_p_4023.html.

Maybe the gear vendors overdrive is a better choice to focus on or I could give the FiTech another go... who knows!

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:21 am

Used to be able to buy 78-79 D60's for a few 100 bucks around here, but over the last few years all truggy guys have bought them up and they go for a mint now. I have 1 left, but it's basically a core. I've got a couple good high pinino D44's laying around, and even those are starting to go up in price.

Hydroboost is the way to go IMO. There are 2 places that make drop-in hydroboost conversion kits for the 67-79 but they're a little pricey, but nice stuff.

I decided to use the stock Ford hydroboost and master from the 05 donor truck because the master was already sized correctly and I have several 99-07 SuperDuty's so I have a spare hydroboost and master laying around. Plus I built my own adapter for a lot less than a shelf kit, but it's not as shiney.

I think you're on the right track with the rear disks as well. I don't like the typical conversion using Chevy Edlo parts because I'm not a fan of parking brake calipers. Drum in rotor works so much better!

4 wheel disks and a GV's od and it'll nearly be like driving a brand new truck! Especially if you get your EFI sorted out.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:02 pm

I'm claiming victory on getting the heater/defroster working. I just had some wiring intricacies to figure out. The first and obvious step was to hook the power in the engine compartment back to the positive side of the solenoid. After confirming that I had power and the blower would run I had to iron out which wires went where on the back of the heater switch. The fan runs thru all the speeds and the air blows nicely on defrost. I still need to hook up my heater hoses from the block to heater core for it to actually heat up :lol: .

When putting the dash back together I ended up having to take it apart and redo it 2 or 3 times because the light for the heater and A/C controls had popped out of its mounting hole. My instrument cluster bezel is vertically split into two pieces. heater/radio vs. the rest of the gauges so I first tried taking off only the heater/radio portion of the bevel only. Unscrewing the radio and heater control and maneuvering them around proved fruitless so I ended up pulling the headlight knob, wiper knob and screws to take the whole bezel off and move the speedo and other gauges out of the way. All this took longer than I expected but I think I've put the dash back together for the last time in a while.

I also got my grade 8 hardware for finishing the tow hitch to bumper mounting.

These are Grade 8 Steel 1"-8 Thread Size, 2" long hex head screws. The heads take a 1.5" socket to tighten them. Thankfully I have a 1.5" socket that fits on my 3/4" breaker bar.

Verifying wiring and switching from the 7 round pin plug to a flat pin 7-way RV plug will button up this area.

These projects are never done. I've got a bunch of other stuff still in the pipeline, so stay tuned!

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Progress on some real functional stuff! There is something about the warm green glow of old school gauges.

McMaster is a bit spendy, but it's nice that you can buy 2 1" bolts and you don't have to buy a box. Plus they have everything!

Disable adblock

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”