1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

somethingclever
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Postby somethingclever » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:17 pm

i've been getting all my grade 8 stuff at tractor supply...buy it by the pound so couple of these and couple of those doesn't matter...all the same cost.

Nice progress on this build overall maddog!
1979 F250 Crew Cab: D44/D60/4.88's/T18/NP205/466BBF/12" lift/40" Toyo MT's - family cruiser
1978 F250 Super Cab: Elec/Hydraulic dumptruck in the making

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:27 am

somethingclever wrote:i've been getting all my grade 8 stuff at tractor supply...buy it by the pound so couple of these and couple of those doesn't matter...all the same cost.

Has Tractor Supply started stocking stuff with a good thread fit? A few years ago I bought a bunch of bolts from them because the price was decent and then I figured out they were all class 1B fit. Not the end of the world, but not what I would have prefered.

somethingclever
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby somethingclever » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:01 am

Are you sure you didn't run across a bad batch?

I can't even find a class 1B nut available in grade 8.

I haven't had any issues with the ones I have purchased...all "felt" like a class 2 thread.
1979 F250 Crew Cab: D44/D60/4.88's/T18/NP205/466BBF/12" lift/40" Toyo MT's - family cruiser

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:52 pm

somethingclever wrote:i've been getting all my grade 8 stuff at tractor supply...buy it by the pound so couple of these and couple of those doesn't matter...all the same cost.

I bought the grade 8 flat washers, lock washers and nuts in my pictures from Tractor Supply. Initially, I called them and every other major hardware store in my area to ask if they carried 1"-8 grade 8 bolts and everybody said "no." I didn't try Fastenal because they typically don't do small/individual pieces but rather focus on bulk sizing/pricing.

A few days after calling around I decided to stop by Tractor Supply on a whim and found that they do carry all the way up to 1"-8 grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers. The downside was that the shortest thread length they carry (at least in my store) for 1"-8 grade 5 or grade 8 hex head bolts is 3" long. In order to keep my wiring plugs unobstructed and fully accessible for plugs to mate into I needed to use 2" long bolts. If I recall correctly, Tractor Supply did have 7/8"-8 x 2" long grade 8 bolts but they left too much wiggle room in the hole. Had I been able to use those my total cost would have been around $11.

I purchased the grade 8 flat washers, lock washers and nuts for about $5 from Tractor Supply.
McMaster Carr is about a 45 minute drive from my house with no traffic on a Saturday morning. I've done the drive down on a Saturday morning before but this time when factoring in the cost of gas, my time value and the speed with which I'd get them by ordering online I went with the online order. Just the two 1"-8 x2" long bolts cost me close to $15 so my all in cost was $20 for the hardware to finish the mounting.

Tractor Supply has become my go-to for grade 8 hardware because of its large selection and by the pound pricing, which is hands down better than anywhere else I've used in the past.

Disable adblock

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:23 am

somethingclever wrote:Are you sure you didn't run across a bad batch?

I haven't had any issues with the ones I have purchased...all "felt" like a class 2 thread.

The ones in the bucket right now are 1B. They feel like it to me, but I've also verified with a gauge.

Honestly for most applications it isn't the end of the world, but I prefer a better fit when I can. Normally all my stuff is so oversized it doesn't matter but the higher class fit makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :roll:

somethingclever
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby somethingclever » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Bullistik8v92 wrote:
somethingclever wrote:Are you sure you didn't run across a bad batch?

The ones in the bucket right now are 1B. They feel like it to me, but I've also verified with a gauge.

Honestly for most applications it isn't the end of the world, but I prefer a better fit when I can. Normally all my stuff is so oversized it doesn't matter but the higher class fit makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :roll:

Interesting....I will definitely pay closer attn next time I am in need.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:41 am

I wonder if it could be a regional thing too? I know some of the Do It Best hardware stores source a lot of their hardware from different places. The one by me has a better selection of hardware than our local Fastenal does but the one by my sisters place obviously uses a different vendor and they have a fraction of the selection.

I still buy hardware from TSC because it's a good deal, but for most of the vehicle/equipement uses my inner engineer comes out and I get overly concerned. Nothing wrong with 1B stuff, it still has to meet the requisite standards. I don't want anyone getting the idea I'm saying it's junk and don't use it, because that is not the case.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:47 pm

I mentioned having a bunch of other stuff in the pipeline, here is one of those items. A 78/79 Dana 60 (D60) snowfighter front axle. The main driver for this is the disc brakes. Another is that I've been concerned about the health of my current low pinion D60 and the ability to find parts for it as the driver side sounds like it is unhealthy. Maybe all it needs is a little more grease, but I figure if I'm going to sink money into my front axle it should be a high pinion dana 60. Also, I'd rather schedule it on my terms rather than have a roadside problem sideline me.

It's nice to have the high pinion for added strength and clearance so those factors also weighed in. I looked at high pinion D44 vs D60 since both have disc brakes and ended up finding a Dana 60 out in TX that I had shipped out to CA. Shipping was less than $200 from TX to CA. Full cross country shipping I had priced out was under $250 IIRC.

Prices for HP D44's seem to be a lot higher these days. I saw them for anywhere from $300 to $1,500.
High Pinion Front Dana 60 axle prices were anywhere from $800 - $4,000. The axle I bought is currently getting regeared with 4.10's. It had 5.38's in it. The steering arm is broken so I either need to source another one for the driver side, which I suppose I can take off my low pinion D60 (not sure?) or bite the bullet and do crossover steering now.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:49 pm

Axle is at the shop that is doing the majority of the rebuild for me and torn apart.

New gears bearings and seals are getting installed today.
The good news is that the knuckles and kingpins are in good shape.
The bad news is that there are several bolts broken off in the differential cover bolt holes of the housing. I'll have to EZ-out them.

Rotors are at my local Napa getting turned and prepped with new bearings and seals.
Everything should be done by end of the day which means I'll probably grab everything first thing Monday morning.

Once I get everything back I need to EZ out the broken bolts and clean and paint the housing as the shop is unable to for silly reasons outside of their control. Then I'll finish the assembly to have it ready for the swap in.

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Oooow new parts! :D
Looks like some good stuff you got there. Weird that the shop can't paint that for you.
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Disable adblock

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”