1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Postby maddogjohnson » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:16 pm

I have to run to the parts store tomorrow to grab a ball joint/u-joint press set so I can continue rebuilding the axle u-joints on the front D60 for the crew cab. The axle is painted all pretty now. I still need to paint the brake calipers. Hopefully, that'll get completed tomorrow.

I have the correct fittings and hoses to hook up the heater hoses so I may do that quick job tomorrow as well.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:56 am

I'm taking it slow but here are some progress pics:

New gears in and ready for the differential cover to go on:

You can see the wear pattern in this picture:

Prior to disassembly. You can see that the outer stub axle slingers are a bit beat up. I've got new slingers to install.

The spread of tools and my "workbench" where I pressed out the old bearings and pressed in the new bearings. As you can see at this point I had the old bearings removed and the shafts separated.

Pressing a new bearing in:

Here's a shot with the new driver side bearing pressed in.

Both driver and passenger axle shafts now have the new bearings installed and the passenger side has the new slinger in place. I still need to replace the slinger on the driver side and finish polishing up the bearing surfaces.

Here's a few pics of my spindles. Quite a bit of pitting and grooves. I'm undecided on whether I'll speedi-sleeve these, buy new aftermarket, or buy used spindles out of a newer Dana 60 that'll fit, like out of a 1990 F-350. I found a used pair for $45 each plus shipping that I'm leaning towards buying if they're in good shape.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Making progress!

Those spindles are savable, but for 45 bucks for good used ones probably not worth the time. Throw those on the shelf for a what if just in case.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”