1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Postby maddogjohnson » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:16 pm

I have to run to the parts store tomorrow to grab a ball joint/u-joint press set so I can continue rebuilding the axle u-joints on the front D60 for the crew cab. The axle is painted all pretty now. I still need to paint the brake calipers. Hopefully, that'll get completed tomorrow.

I have the correct fittings and hoses to hook up the heater hoses so I may do that quick job tomorrow as well.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:56 am

I'm taking it slow but here are some progress pics:

New gears in and ready for the differential cover to go on:

You can see the wear pattern in this picture:

Prior to disassembly. You can see that the outer stub axle slingers are a bit beat up. I've got new slingers to install.

The spread of tools and my "workbench" where I pressed out the old bearings and pressed in the new bearings. As you can see at this point I had the old bearings removed and the shafts separated.

Pressing a new bearing in:

Here's a shot with the new driver side bearing pressed in.

Both driver and passenger axle shafts now have the new bearings installed and the passenger side has the new slinger in place. I still need to replace the slinger on the driver side and finish polishing up the bearing surfaces.

Here's a few pics of my spindles. Quite a bit of pitting and grooves. I'm undecided on whether I'll speedi-sleeve these, buy new aftermarket, or buy used spindles out of a newer Dana 60 that'll fit, like out of a 1990 F-350. I found a used pair for $45 each plus shipping that I'm leaning towards buying if they're in good shape.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Making progress!

Those spindles are savable, but for 45 bucks for good used ones probably not worth the time. Throw those on the shelf for a what if just in case.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Tue May 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Dropping in to say there's been practically no progress of late as work and life has been too busy.

I did get my replacement steering arm in the mail. I've painted it, removed the old cut-off arm and loosely bolted the replacement steering arm on. I haven't had enough time to tighten the bolts.

Besides finding time, the current hold up is the brake calipers. The pistons are frozen in the calipers. Compressed air is not enough to get them out and I don't have a tool to use hydraulic pressure on the bench so I'm just going to buy rebuilt calipers from the auto parts store. I seem to have too many parts on the shelf for some unknown project down the road already so I'll probably speedi sleeve my current spindles.

The differential cover gasket also arrived at some point, so the differential cover has been bolted into place and I installed the new axle slingers.

Slinger part number:

New slinger in place on axle shaft:

Disable adblock

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:15 am

Even a little progress is better than none. I'm in the same boat, only had a few minutes here and there to work on the crewcab and haven't really done anything significant. I'm hoping to change that very soon!

SpeediSleeve should hold up just fine on those spindles. I also have a lot of parts sitting around for future projects. Think there are 14 engines along the wall in the shop for future projects...and a couple out in the shed too!

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Tue May 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Bullistik8v92 wrote:Even a little progress is better than none. I'm in the same boat, only had a few minutes here and there to work on the crewcab and haven't really done anything significant. I'm hoping to change that very soon!

SpeediSleeve should hold up just fine on those spindles. I also have a lot of parts sitting around for future projects. Think there are 14 engines along the wall in the shop for future projects...and a couple out in the shed too!

That's a good number of engines to keep you busy for a while.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:54 pm

I figure if I work pretty steady on the projects I have laying around I think I can get them all wrapped up by my 115th birthday......

Since the hubs are greased filled it's not as big a deal, but some loctite on the speedi sleeve helps keep lube from wicking under the sleeve and a whack with a cold chisel will still free up the sleeve for removal fairly easy if you do go the SpeediSleeve route.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Wed May 15, 2019 11:37 pm

Bullistik8v92 wrote:I figure if I work pretty steady on the projects I have laying around I think I can get them all wrapped up by my 115th birthday......

Since the hubs are greased filled it's not as big a deal, but some loctite on the speedi sleeve helps keep lube from wicking under the sleeve and a whack with a cold chisel will still free up the sleeve for removal fairly easy if you do go the SpeediSleeve route.

Thanks for the tip!

I've been kind of bouncing around between a few things the last few days. On Monday night I was up late after most of the family went to bed, waiting for my oldest daughter to get home from Disneyland, so I went ahead and hooked up the heater hoses. No decent pics to share as I only took a few night time shots and they are poor quality. Here's the best one:

I removed the FiTech temperature sensor and reducer and put the 90 degree elbow in that opening on the intake manifold.
Next, I removed the plug that was in the timing chain cover and installed the long tube fitting I had on hand.
I then removed the instrument panel connected temperature sensor from behind the distributor and installed it in the thermostat housing elbow where I had a plug.

I didn't bother draining the coolant level before starting, but that was easily accomplished when I removed the FiTech temperature sensor. :)

In order to hook up like original, the heater core outlet closest to the drivers side went to the 90 degree elbow on the intake manifold.
The heater core outlet closest to the passenger side went to the timing chain cover fitting.

I refilled the cooling system with antifreeze/water mix and still had another hour of waiting, so I started removing the old mostly broken and very hard window seals on the driver side door.

Removing the door panel wasn't too hard compared to every other time I've done this on the truck or my Mustang because I acquired a door panel reval tool from my father in law a couple of months ago. Wow, it made it so much easier! I got the top of the door glass run completely removed and all the "rubber" in the rear and vent run channels that are exposed to the elements before my daughter got home and I called it a night.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Thu May 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Last night I finished up breaking out the old weatherstripping in the rear and vent run channels.

I put blue painters tape on the door next to the window channel to reduce the chance of marring the paint.

Here's the cleaned out vent window channel:

I removed the bottom bolt on the front vent window channel.
I also removed both bolts on the rear window channel run and completely pulled out that lower channel.
I did a test fit of the top/back window run piece and quickly noticed that the material has reliefs cut into the back side to allow it to contour to the curve in the door.

I then pulled the new weatherstripping off and applied a bead of 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive to the middle channel of the back of the weatherstripping that contacts the door.

After gluing in the top/back of the window weatherstrip I removed the old door sweeps.
I then install the vent window glass run weatherstrip, first doing a test fit. I noticed one end is cut squared and the other end has angled cuts. The square/flat cut end goes on top.

Last up was installing the new door sweeps which were pretty easy to install.
I noticed that there's a thicker/deeper door sweep and a thinner/shallower door sweep. The thicker/deeper door sweep goes on the outside, thinner/shallower inside. (Bottom is the thicker/outer door sweep.)

It was threatening to rain so I called it a night. I didn't put the door panel back on yet, so that'll wait for another day.

The window sure does roll up nicely and seals very well. With that, I'm 25% done with replacing the door weatherstripping.
Last edited by maddogjohnson on Sat May 18, 2019 7:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:19 pm

That's pretty good progress! New weatherstripping and felts make so much difference, much more enjoyable to drive.

Got the heater hooked up just in time for summer, so that means you'll have the AC rebuilt by the time winter sets in!

Disable adblock

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”