1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:19 am

My rigids are the racheting style, only way to go if you can.

Nothing worse than waiting on parts, unless it allows you to get your second tank installed. You can never have too much fuel on board. I like stopping on road trips, just not for fuel!

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:40 pm

My truck is still at the A/C shop. They were sent the wrong bracket twice for the York to Sanden compressor adapter so that set them back on getting it done last week.

If anyone has a lead on the following parts I'm looking for these:

73-79 Automatic gear shift indicator cover
73-79 factory driver side air vent *
78-79 amber park light assembly (below headlight)

I have a friend with a 79 F-250 that a neighbor gave to him for free. It has the parts I'm looking for on it but it's been baking in the Arizona sun for many years so the pieces are faded and brittle. I may just bite the bullet and buy new from LMC, MAC's or one of the other major parts sellers but figured I'd ask the OFCC community first.

* As I type this out I seem to think that I took one off a truck at some point and washed it in prep for putting it in my truck so I guess I'll dig thru all my parts one more time.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:58 pm

I might have a shift cover, I'll look at my 2 automatic parts trucks and see what's there. The vent I'm not sure about.

If anyone is heading from up here to down your way I could see you the entire 79 grill assembly I have. Don't think it's worth trying to ship it.

Always hate waiting, but at least the AC shop is making progress it sounds like. Hopefully you'll be driving cool shortly!

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:44 pm

Much appreciated if you have the shifter cover. Mine was split in two and the super/gorilla glue hasn't held up over time.

I'm having trouble bringing myself to spend the ~$100 on two new parking light assemblies but that may be the better route because they'll not be cracked or faded.

LMC also sells the drivers side A/C vent but want $24.95 for it. When did these trucks get this expensive on replacement parts? More reason to actually look thru all my parts.

I stopped by the A/C shop this morning to see what's been going on. They could not get a Sanden compressor to properly line up with the other pulleys and have enough belt tension adjustment so they're back to utilizing a york compressor that was supposed to come in today. They're a bit frustrated with how hard it has been to get it right but I took it took the local experts for them to be frustrated instead of me. ;)

Disable adblock

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:44 pm

I haven't had a chance to go look for that shift cover yet but I will try and do that tomorrow.

I've had good luck with 2 off the shelf methods for a Sanden. 1 is using the entire belt drive setup (either V or serp) from CVF racing. Or I've also used the Vintage Air Sanden bracket with stock FE AC pulleys. I like the Vintage Air bracket because it will work with a Thompson powersteering pump. It does need a bit of tweaking, such as a drain hole to keep the bracket from filling up with crap. Always had good luck with alignment and such.

Sometimes it's nice to have someone else worry about the headache. Honestly nothing wrong with a York/Tech compressor, they're just not quite as efficient as a modern compressor. In a truck application the extra 2hp it takes is probably not a big deal!

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:46 pm

After stopping by the A/C shop this morning and hearing about some of the challenges, in particular, the long compressor to lower crank pulley belt run without any type of tensioner I seemed to think I had more idler pulleys so I went up to my barn tonight to look thru my parts.

I ended up finding the power steering bracket + fixed idler pulley that are needed to reduce belt slap. After snapping this picture I did a quick 409 cleaning of the power steering bracket. Apparently, I'd already cleaned and painted the fixed idler pulley. I'll drop these off at the A/C shop in the morning along with what I think are the rights bolts to mount em up.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:42 pm

I got my truck back from the A/C shop this morning. It blows nice and cold as expected. I still have the vacuum leak to figure out. Under hard acceleration, the force of the air coming out of the A/C drops down. Once I let up on the accelerator the air coming out the vents gets back to its proper level.  

New compression and clutch. I need to come up with a better mounting for the coil. By the time I got home it had almost vibrated out. I think this compressor and clutch look a little nicer than the one I had on it before.

Here's a close up of the power steering bracket and fixed A/C pulley that I dropped off for them to use the other day:

Wider angle shot:

Here's the installed vacuum controlled heater water valve P/N D4AZ-18495-A

Finally, these are the drivers side A/C vents pieces that I've been able to scrounge up. The housing that these mount into is still in the dash. I'm missing one of the vent louvers (top piece) and a second side thingamajiggy (bottom piece) 

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:14 am

That is awesome that you got the A/C going in your truck. I'm hoping to have mine done this week and be able to test it out before fall arrives :lol:

I'm sure it's annoying that it isn't working 100% correctly under hard acceleration, but I'll bet it's still better than no A/C! I'm sure you'll get it sorted out.
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:01 pm

OrthmannJ wrote:That is awesome that you got the A/C going in your truck. I'm hoping to have mine done this week and be able to test it out before fall arrives :lol:

I'm sure it's annoying that it isn't working 100% correctly under hard acceleration, but I'll bet it's still better than no A/C! I'm sure you'll get it sorted out.

I'm super excited that I have the A/C working. Going from the point of buying this truck with the massive hole in the firewall and two A/C boxes to piece together to create a functional unit and no prior knowledge of the wiring and vacuum lines to the point where I am today is a huge accomplishment for me. Growing up restoring classic Mustangs has helped in being familiar with a lot of areas on these trucks but the knowledge required for the various nuances of these 70's trucks vs the 60's cars is definitely higher. Here's a shot of my A/C belt (mostly for my reference):

I've had the vacuum leak I think since day one. It hasn't bothered me too much and really doesn't matter much to me on the A/C front. I think the vacuum leak is the main reason why I haven't been able to get the FiTech to work so that's why it concerns me. With the carburetor on, the truck runs great even with the vacuum leak. I'm a bit puzzled because if the truck runs fine with the carb and vacuum leak, I'd think the fuel injection system could also handle it to the point where I could get it to at least idle properly but that hasn't been the case yet.

I dropped my 78/79 power steering gearbox off at a local power steering specialty shop today. The lead time is 10-14 days for it be get rebuilt. Once its done I'll drop my truck off at my friend's shop for him to do the front cross member cutting and other welding needed to get the box mounted up.

Finally, here's what I came up with for a coil mounting. However, I need some advice. I put a strip of self-adhesive sound deadener on the coil to make it fit snug in the holder. It's held in place pretty good but just in case it decides to try and vibrate free I found this piece of metal that I think goes to the A/C system on my Mustang to use to prevent the coil from vibrating out in any way. Not pretty, but functional.

Here's what I'm not sure of. I've never had this particular coil mounted horizontally before. It's always been vertically mounted. How do I know whether I'm risking a fire from the coil being horizontal? I know I've read about them catching fire due to the oil coming out and flaming up.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:50 pm

I checked all my parts trucks/stash but I don't have the shift selector window thingy. I thought I had a couple good ones, but I must have robbed the only good one I had for the 73.

You'll never get an aftermarket TBI EFI setup to work very well/at all with vacuum leaks unless it's a Alpha-N system. The FiTech (and all similar set ups) are a simplified speed density system which bases most of it's calculations off the MAP sensor. Sure it's a self learning system off the o2, but that's for correction and not the base map.

Is that an old Mallory coil? If yes, most of those are ok for horizontal mount. A lot of times what happens with HiPo coils is you get an air pocket where the windings are exposed when they're not mounted upright and either it burns the windings and shorts the coil or it gets too hot and cooks the topcap seal and the oil leaks out.

Much be nice having working AC! I wish the 73's worked. I have all the stuff, but didn't want to build hoses and put the compressor on the old engine when I'm swapping the new 390 in it this fall.

Disable adblock

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”