1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

ruggedcoast
Sr Contributor
Sr Contributor

Re: 1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Postby ruggedcoast » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:02 pm

Great thread and build project! I've enjoyed reading through it all over the last couple weeks. I especially liked the info on the Dana 60 front end as I will be going through some of the same stuff with mine.
1974 F250 4x4 CCSB, 460 Swap, 4 Speed
1988 F350 4x4 CCLB, 7.3 IDI, ZF5 Swap, 4" Lift

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Thanks ruggedcoast.

I looked at my D60 front axle yesterday and thought about doing some work on it, but ended up working on the Mustang instead.

Wiring is not my favorite topic. In fiddling around with trying out the FiTech on my Mustang a few weeks ago I ended up having some wires near the alternator start arcing. I shut down the car but then lost all power after shutdown. No interior lights, no headlights no dash lights, nada.

In reading up on the mustang forums I visit I found the right wire to start tracing I knew I had a good battery providing 12v. I found that the main black wire with the yellow stripe starts at the hot side of the starter solenoid and runs into the main connector at the firewall had no voltage at the firewall end. In tracing the wire I found where it was completely broken close to the alternator.

I cut out the bad section and wrapped the wiring up again, happy that I had power back.

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:25 pm

Isn't electrical stuff fun!? :roll:
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:14 am

OrthmannJ wrote:Isn't electrical stuff fun!? :roll:

It's the best!

I've definitely gained an appreciation for those with deep knowledge of the systems on these trucks and on Mustangs. The wiring diagrams and books are good for getting a high level understanding but getting a simple explanation such as "the main black wire with the yellow stripe that starts at the hot side of the starter solenoid and runs into the main connector at the firewall provides power from the battery to the fuse box, ignition and..." is easier to understand than the digrams and pages in the factory manuals.

I'm not a guru but try to help others in areas I'm able to. Back when I worked on Mustangs all the time I used to be able to identify all the nuts, bolts screws etc on a Mustang w/o needing to label them cause I was just that familiar with their sizing, use etc. Not so much these days, but I spend way less time on that now since both my hobby vehicles are mostly restored to the point that I want them to be.

Disable adblock

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:01 pm

I posted in the "What have you done with you crew cab lately" thread about it being fire season. We get warm, dry Santa Ana winds that blow from the desert to the sea which unfortunately coincide with destructive fires all to often. I think a majority of them are arson because we've had these winds my entire life in so cal but the proliferation of fires is a more recent trend. (Last decade or so)... but there were certainly destructive fires like the 1991 Oakland firestorm when I was younger.

I vacuumed the cypress tree "leaves" off my trucks windshield, cowl and rear engine compartment that showed up thanks to all the wind we've had. That's the extent of what I've down with my crew cab lately :)

I also pulled the railroad ties out of the back of my truck that I'd had in it for a few weeks.Image

Disable adblock

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”