1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 1975 F-250 CCSB 4x4 build thread

Post by maddogjohnson »

The driver side A/C vent and steering column gear shifter indicator cover arrived today. I'm guessing the gear shifter indicator cover is for a tilt column because it doesn't fit on my column. Oh well!

The A/C vent just needed a quick cleaning and replacement of the foam on the top/bottom. I used some 20lb double-sided sticky tape and thin foam board to create the foam pieces.

I finally have a working driver side vent!

OrthmannJ

Post by OrthmannJ »

It's the little things!

1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by Bullistik8v92 »

No real reason to keep it in there at this point, and it is nice to clean up the wiring when you can!

Relics of the infancy of misery that California CARB and the EPA have forced on us.......

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by maddogjohnson »

I spent a little time finishing up my intermittent windshield wiper setup and fixing my speedometer which I didn't properly hook back up the other day.

The intermittent wipers are working. I timed the fast delay at about 4 seconds and at the slowest setting the delay is around 18 seconds. I also replaced the light bulbs for my outer cab lights as the bulbs were old and temperamental.

All my dash lights work, the speedometer is working again and all my exterior lights work with the exception of the 2 license plate lights that are built into my rear bumper. Maybe I'll tackle those soon.

I removed my A/C belt and idler pulleys because the inner/upper one tends to squeal and needs the bearing replaced. I think I'll try getting a Gates 38039 Idler Pulley to see if that solves my problem before trying to replace the bearing on the original idler pulley.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by maddogjohnson »

I ordered a new Gates 38039 Idler Pulley. I haven't installed it because I'm tracking gas mileage without the A/C belt for a tank or two before I put in back on, not to mention it's not warm enough to need the A/C right now, though it is about 75° today which is really quite pleasant.

I was close enough to a specialty bolt shop today that I finally picked up the 9/16" -12 x 4.5" long bolts I need for the mounting the 78-79 power steering box.

Last weekend I fiddled around with the FiTech, which is pretty easy to install and hook up.

My "vacuum" leak needs to be fixed before the FiTech will work. Right now, the truck will fire up with the FiTech on it but the idle jumps around from about 800 - 2000 RPM, with the engine eventually dying at some point. I'm suspecting either intake manifold or valve leakage. I wish I had neither but the vacuum gauge says vacuum is not the way it should be.

Link to video of mityvac vacuum gauge reading at idle with the carburetor on the truck:
(Click on pic to redirect to flickr page)

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by Bullistik8v92 »

It's very common to get intake gasket leaks on FE's. Especially if either the heads or block have been decked. I always check the fitup of the intake with no gasket, machine if necessary. Another common problem is the intake flange will be warped. The StreetMaster I just prepped for the 390 going in the regular cab I have in other sub forum had over .150 tho of bend I had to mill out to get it flat. I also have started using grey RTV (like 599 or the Navistar stuff, etc) and skim coating around each intake port, coolant port and then I usually don't use the end seals and just use RTV on the china wall.

A leak down tester will help ID if you have a valve issue.

There's also a couple ways to test to see if the intake is leaking, but they aren't usually as precise as testing for a valve problem.

Hopefully you get it dialed in because the FiTech will really make it a nice package for a daily.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by maddogjohnson »

I figure I have either an intake manifold or valve leak. I'd be very surprised if its valve related because the engine builder is pretty meticulous and something as simple as a valve leak would not be a good reflection on their quality of work. I stopped by his shop to chat a few weeks ago and he suggested retorquing the intake manifold bolts as that is a good practice on a new build after you've put some miles on it.

I did get the FiTech working!

Just not on my truck ;). The above shot is of it with the initial tangle of wiring on the Mustang.
I've only put a few miles on it in the neighborhood but it seems to run well. I reset everything to factory setting on the handheld controller and had to find the correct wire to tap into behind the ignition switch to get it to run properly but now it fires right up and idles well.

Since the FiTech kit comes with the temperature sensor and I already had it mounted in intake manifold on the truck, I just went out and bought another sensor from OReilly auto and installed that one on the Mustang. I think this is the one I purchased. It fits a 2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue among other vehicles. Now I don't have to worry about switching the temperature sensor between vehicles. I need to clean up the wiring and fuel line routing and finish the vent line to go back to the fuel filler neck.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by maddogjohnson »

I stopped by the junkyard on a whim on a recent Monday morning. I was heading in to work late and decided to check their inventory of 70's trucks in the yard on my phone and saw that they put a 77 F-250 in the yard 2 days earlier. I stopped in, dressed all nice for work to at least take a look at the two 70's trucks in the yard

It turns out the truck they'd put out 2 days before was a 1977 camper special with the aft axle gas tank, shield and filler neck assembly totally intact. I made plans to return back the next afternoon as I knew I was getting off work early.

I went back the next afternoon and was happy to see everything I wanted was still on the truck.

The camper special also had a nice looking A/C and heater control unit with the gas tank switch assembly that I helped myself to:

I pulled out the filler neck, shield and tank, getting them off just before closing time. Here's the camper special tank after I washed off all the dirt and grime:

Here's a shot of the 90's cab and chassis gas tank that I have on the left and the 77 camper special tank and shield on the right before I washed it off.

Front view with the 90's cab and chassis gas tank that I have on the right and the 77 camper special tank and shield on the left.

You can see that the filler neck locations are different. I've found a few other postings with these side by side cab and chassis and super camper tank pictures here on FTE, but there's not many of them around so I thought it would be good to post these up.

The super camper gas tank had 2 holes drilled in it from the junkyard draining the fuel out of the tank as is their standard practice:

The fuel tank was manufactured by Bronson Plastics, based on Bronson, Missouri.

A search online for the company doesn't turn up much in the way of results, mostly obituaries for people who used to work there and have died and one or two other postings looking for info on similar tanks, such as this one for a 1976 Dodge W200 plastic tank https://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-h ... ir-ideas)/

I set about calling around to find a place that does plastic gas tank welding. It took a couple of days and I talked to a lot of plastics manufacturing and metal welding folks in Southern California, mostly with dead ends, but with some good internet keyword searching skills I ended up finding a welder who could do the job within a mile of the junkyard. I'll get the tank back tomorrow.

OrthmannJ

Post by OrthmannJ »

Sounds like you have been a busy bee. Thanks for the updates.

1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Post by Bullistik8v92 »

I never realized how different the super camper rear tanks are from the regular camper specials. Looks to be at least 5 gallons bigger than the regular camper special tank like I've got in my 73.

How much do they charge for the tank repair? I've fixed a couple poly tanks before, it's kind of a pain but it is doable.

FiTech looks good on the Mustang. Are you going to get another one for the truck when you get the vacuum leak plugged up?