77 Crewcab Build

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 77 Crewcab Build

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:53 pm

PACrewCab wrote:Anxious to see video of it running. :D

Hopefully soon! It's oil tight (well, as oil tight as it's every gonna get). I painted the lower rad tube tonight - it's in the shop drying now so it'll be coolant tight soon. I need to get the passenger side inner fender back on and build a bracket for the coolant filter and that is the last coolant hose that needs to be done.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Image20180515_152346 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

I got my bulkhead connector in the firewall today. I wanted to make this thing as easy to service as possible, so I'm making the cab easy to pull off the frame like a modern diesel pickup. That's a 22 pin Weather Pak which should be enough. I actually bought 2 of them and if I need more room I'll put the second one up high in the middle of the firewall where the hvac vacuum lines used to go through. I REALLY want to clean up some of the welding, but once the hurcliner is on you won't see it. And the firewall was just such a mess from the previous owner I ran out all sorts of hidden crap when I started to weld. I keep reminding myself it's not a show truck, it just has to be nice.

Image20180515_152354 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

Core support mods are done so I painted the core support and put the rad back in this evening as well.

Image20180515_153344 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

I installed one of the fancy engine barring adapters. Never used one before so I thought I'd give it a try on this project.

Image20180515_191808 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

Started on the interior work too. Got the old steering column out. I have an Ididit tilt column to go back in. I think I'm going to pull the dash next. I have a parts truck that's a factory AC truck so I think I'll steel the dash out of that. Now I need to decide what color the interior will be.

In keeping with the restomod/protouring theme I'm leaning towards the 73-75 midnight metallic blue color and maybe 2-tone it. But I'm torn on the 2 tone. I like the white center on the sides, but I'm not using lower trim or race track so I'm thinking I may go with a white top and blue everywhere else. In which case I probably should do the interior blue as well. Going to have to ponder on that some.

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Wed May 16, 2018 7:41 am

Progress is looking good! Interior decisions can be hard to make. Especially if you are uncertain about the exterior color.
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:34 pm

The hardest decision has been to not blow the thing apart and start really going after it. I resisted the urge to cut out all the old repairs and make them pretty like the mess in the firewall I ran into and the floor pans, etc.

But the color is the next hardest. I'm pretty set on blue as the main color. I haven't really decided if I want to stay with an all original paint scheme or whatever I decide at the time.

Leaning towards white roof and blue from there down and blue inside. I've also thought about doing most of the interior in the same white as the roof just to lighten up the interior.

Disable adblock

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Mon May 21, 2018 8:44 am

Bullistik8v92 wrote:The hardest decision has been to not blow the thing apart and start really going after it. I resisted the urge to cut out all the old repairs and make them pretty like the mess in the firewall I ran into and the floor pans, etc.

But the color is the next hardest. I'm pretty set on blue as the main color. I haven't really decided if I want to stay with an all original paint scheme or whatever I decide at the time.

Leaning towards white roof and blue from there down and blue inside. I've also thought about doing most of the interior in the same white as the roof just to lighten up the interior.

Going tu-tone with an interior can really help break things up. If it's all one color (other than black or grey) it can become overwhelming.
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:28 pm

OrthmannJ wrote:
Bullistik8v92 wrote:The hardest decision has been to not blow the thing apart and start really going after it. I resisted the urge to cut out all the old repairs and make them pretty like the mess in the firewall I ran into and the floor pans, etc.

Going tu-tone with an interior can really help break things up. If it's all one color (other than black or grey) it can become overwhelming.

I was thinking the same thing. I remember my Dad's 74 regular cab was all blue, inside and out. I don't recall it being too much, but I'm still debating.

The PO put some kind of bed liner on the firewall and the cab floors, inside of the firewall and up the kick panels. I'm not sure I want to try and chip all that off there so I may leave the kicks bed lined no matter what color I choose.

Image20180521_200235 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
I started the interior tear down now that the major mechanical work is getting close to an end. Before I pull the dash I want to get the new hvac box mounted. It's going to end up hanging a little lower than I originally wanted but it was a compromise. I could get it almost entirely tucked up behind the dash but I wanted to keep the glove box. I suppose it's not a big deal, especially since I'm using the buckets and consul out of that 88 F350, but I REALLY am trying to keep this build looking like it would have in 1977. I'm hoping when it's done and sitting in a parking lot you'd have to walk up and look to see that it isn't a more or less original truck.

Image20180522_143927 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

Image20180522_145007 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
I bought this parts truck late last year. It is a F350 and in the late 90's it was wrecked and they paid a shop to swap a new cab on it. I bought it because I wanted the rear axle for parts for that green dump truck I posted a pic of a while ago. I ended up using some other parts I had laying around to fix it so I just pushed the yellow truck into a corner and threw a tarp over the cab.

I was debating fixing it and using it. Has a REALLY nice 12' flatbed on it with an over the cab lumber rack. Has a 400 and 4 speed but the ring gear is missing a couple teeth. The truck is in decent shape, but it's pretty ruff in a lot of little spots. So I decided I'd just save it for parts since I've got enough other running trucks. Going to use the factory AC dash out of this one instead of cutting up the good dash in that was in the crewcab.

Now we're getting to the tedious hard to see any progress part of the project!

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:44 pm

Actually spent quite a bit of time working on the crewcab today but not a lot of picture worthy progress was made. I did some more plumbing, did some interior work and I got the passenger side firewall insulation on and the AC/heater bulkhead fitting in. I still need to put the edge trim around the insulation and final glue it in place. I know it looks a little funny, but it follows the contour of the inner fender on the right side of the cab and will look like it's supposed to once the inner fender is in.

Image20180529_204700 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:26 am

Image20180611_225156 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
I'm trying to keep as much heat out of the cab as possible so I decided to wrap the downpipe. I used some DEI titanium header wrap, nothing special but it should help keep some head away from the cab.

Image20180611_225210 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
The firewall is completely insulated now, although I'm not quite done. I've got some DEI tape for the seams to clean up the look. The stuff on the left in this pic looks better now that it's all stuck down, in the pic it was just hanging by a few spots to make sure it fit correctly after lots of trimming. This stuff works well but it's kind of a PITA to trim.

Image20180611_232432 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Got all the power steering plumbing finished, brakes are done, radiator hoses and tubes are done and I finished the fuel lines tonight as well. I had to order a fitting for the return line off the hydroboost, thought I had one but can't find it. Once that shows up I can start putting fluids in this thing.

I didn't get any pictures of it, but I got the new bushing for the brake pedal pushrod installed and the bolt in. I cut a spacer for the clutch pushrod and got that put together and tested them both. They aren't perfect for alignment, but they should be ok. The brake pushrod is actually pretty close, the clutch is off more than I'd like, but it doesn't hit anything and I'm getting pull stroke out of the master so I'll try it and see. If I don't like the way the clutch works I'll modify the mounting bracket.

I'm not 100% sure yet, but I'm leaning towards leaving the color scheme the way it is now but changing to blue and white instead of green and white. If I talk myself into this for sure I'll leave the interior paint color white I think and I can start painting stuff like the AC dash I pulled out one of the parts trucks.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:47 am

I've been making numerous trips to the hose and fitting store, then changing my mind and making more trips to the hose and fitting store. I also had to take time off for other, non-fun truck related stuff, but I have had the chance to get a little done. Got the hydrboost return line fitting I needed so the power steering is completely plumbed and has a little oil in it even. My next major hurdle is getting the heaterbox mounted. I don't like the current version they have now compared to the older kit like I put in the 73 regular cab. The vent outlets come out facing straight up under the glove box which means I either have to modify the already tiny glove box or probably hang the box lower.

Image20180625_221343 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Measured for the new rear driveline. The front section is about 12" too short. I'm hoping I can get it dropped off at the driveline shop sometime later this week.

Image20180625_210221 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Bent up some simple plates to start building a coolant filter bracket and possibly a mount for the heater box.

Image20180625_223810 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
I ended up having to do a little trimming on the bracket because I ended up needing to use shutoff valves on the coolant filter because I decided to mount it low on the block.

Image20180625_223908 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Got my new exhaust and turbo blankets installed.

Image20180625_234101 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Not absolutely required, but I ended up needing a second bend in the down pipe to get around a tight spot in the flywheel housing and make it easier to get the first exhaust pipe attached to the downpipe. Naturally my high dollar exhaust bender wouldn't work for this, and the fancy CNC tubing bender I have at work doesn't have 4" mandrels and I think I'd havea tuff time sneaking a 2k dollar die and mandrel set through the office to do 1 piece of my exhaust. Soooooo, I resorted to additional fabricobling since it got covered in header wrap anyway.

Image20180626_000236 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
The cobbling finished on the downpipe.

I'm hoping next year I can replace my exhaust bender as it's nearly depreciated out now. If that works out I'll sell this one as it's in VERY nice shape still and upgrade to a CNC machine maybe. If I can then I'll be able to rebuild the downpipe and make it look a little prettier. Untill then, I'll run this polished turd. It won't hurt flow any at the power level this things at.

Next thing now I think is I have to get the heater box mounted so I can finish the AC and heater hose plumbing. Then it's ready to test fire!

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:43 am

Driveline is at the driveline store getting rebuilt and lengthened. Of course I ran out of fittings again. The plumbing is coming along tho. Started bleeding the brakes and power steering.

Image20180702_233916 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Got the rear freeze plug bypass plumbing nearly done. I decided to run the bypass thru the coolant filter. It made plumbing the filter easy and it will help control the flow. If it doesn't flow enough I'll plumb the filter some other way, but I think this will work (the filter with the built in restrictor should flow around 2gpm IIRC).

Image20180702_233923 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
I covered the hose between the freeze plug fittings and filter and half of the filter to rad hoses with insulation to keep them from getting cooked by the exhaust. We use a product out of the same material at work (just a larger size) and it stands up to quite a bit of heat.

Disable adblock

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”