77 Crewcab Build

PACrewCab

Re: 77 Crewcab Build

Postby PACrewCab » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:59 am

Nice man, you are coming along well with this project.
Andy
1996 F350 crew cab, Powerstroke, automatic
1965 Ford Mustang, 289, automatic
1964 Ford Galaxie 500, 352, automatic
1968 Ford Galaxie 500, 302, automatic

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:43 am

Thanks! Trying to keep the project moving, try to do something to it even if it's just 5 minutes worth anytime I'm in the shop.

With all the other projects it's easy to let one get stalled.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 am

Well, once again I forgot my real camera so had to take another cell phone video. It wasn't raining when I was over at the shop tonight. So after I worked on the 351w, the Nova and the Burb for a little while it was starting to get light out and it wasn't raining. I decided I had better take advantage of the break in the weather and I got the crewcab outside and cleaned up the mess under and around it.

ImageOut in the world by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
It was nice to see if move under it's own power again! I don't have the throttle cable yet, so couldn't actually drive it. But soon I hope!

For some reason I can't get it play in the preview, but if you click on it it'll take you to the full size video.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:53 am

I spent a few minutes working on the CC between other projects and work. I also started collecting more parts to start the wiring project in earnest. I got a new wiper switch, new headlight switch, new door jamb switches, stop light switch and I still need to order a rebuilt wiper motor and an ignition switch. I was hoping to get a new headlight switch connector but that is the one thing I haven't found yet. My Motorcraft connector catalog doesn't even list one.

Image20181222_081613 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Worked a little on finishing up the AC hoses. Got the binary switch and hose out of the dryer installed and fit pretty decent.

Image20181222_081619 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
I'm not sure yet how the 2 AC hoses are going to fit on the firewall bulkhead fitting yet. Ideally I would have installed that bulkhead fitting with the heater hoses facing the driver's side of the truck, but I didn't want to cut up the firewall any more than I needed and there were already 2 holes I could use. So I think I'm going to use 2 of those short radius 90*s so that I can clear the 2 heater hoses and stay as far away from the exhaust as is possible.

Image20181222_081624 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
The air filter fits pretty nicely. There is room to run the AC hoses under the filter pretty neatly when they're secured. I think I'm going to build a clamp to hold both hoses and use the old starter solenoid mounting holes. At this point my plan is to use one or 2 of inner fender mounting bolts to hang a bracket to hold the air filter and then I want to build a heat shield that will cover the air filter. I'll probably cut a vent into the wheelwell with a scoop to help keep water out of it.

Well, that's the plan anyway.....it could change!

Disable adblock

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:37 am

Looking good!
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:37 pm

The new wiper switch, headlight switch, door jamb switches & stop light switch, are they all motorcraft parts?

When I had to replace my stoplight switch I found that the autozone duralast brand plastic stoplight / brake light switches lasted about one outing and then the plunger would get stuck internally. The ones from Napa or O'Reilly didn't look any more promising so I ordered a Motorcraft SW5163 and haven't had any problem with it in the ~9 months that I've been driving the truck regularly.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:07 pm

maddogjohnson wrote:The new wiper switch, headlight switch, door jamb switches & stop light switch, are they all motorcraft parts?

I don't have a good source locally for Motorcraft electrical parts, they always have to order them, even at the dealer! I bought all Standard Motor Products switches. I've had pretty fair luck with Standard, but their economy line (BWD) isn't always so good. If it's a redbox Standard brand it's usually ok. I'll find out.

The camper special and the dumptruck both have Standard turnsignal switches and door jamb switches and they've held up ok so far. I don't know about the stoplight switch, I haven't replaced one in a quite a while.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Image20190105_095703 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
I needed to space the top of the intercooler out about 1/2" to make room for the AC hoses and didn't have anything really suitable to the task laying around. Since they're completely hidden when installed I welded some stainless washers to make a solid spacer.

Image20190105_081029 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Throttle cable is in, but I'm going to have to rework it a bit. I left the hole that the PO had hacked in there. I decided to use a Dodge/Cummins throttle cable because I could get a bracket for the injection pump to make all that bolt on. Trouble is the firewall end is about a 1/2" square with tabs that you push into a bracket. As you can tell the hole in the firewall isn't close to square and is too big. I knew I should have patched it when I was doing the rest of the firewall work. So tomorrow I have to head over to the other shop and dig around and see if I have a 1/2" square broach to make a square hole out of a round peg.

Image20190105_081047 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Intercooler is done and installed for good now I think. Also loosely hung the headlight buckets for wiring mockup.

Image20190105_085044 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
The rear section of the SuperDuty wiring harness is in good shape so I'm going to reuse a bunch of that. I started mapping out what wires go where and will take out anything I don't need. Going to use the original VSS to run the speedo in the Dakota HDX cluster and same for the original fuel level sender. I haven't started laying in the new harness yet, but I'm getting closer.

Image20190105_092139 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
The dash that was in the crewcab was in really nice shape and I hated to cut it up. One of my parts trucks is a factory AC truck so I decided to steal the dash panel out of it for the crewcab. Started tearing it down for paint.

Image20190105_093424 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Started paint prep. Need to fix one dent and I'd like to use the black and chrome glovebox trim which I need to drill some holes for. I'm debating on whether to paint it for good, or bomb can it for now and worry about it later when I paint the entire truck. I'm not excited about painting, especially since I think I'm getting stuck doing the entire paint work on the Suburban.

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:21 am

Progress is looking good. Paint the Dash now while it's out. One less thing to worry about down the road.
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:52 pm

I didn't get a chance to finish my dash prep work, but the rest of my AC fittings showed up so I at least got some time in on that. Slowly making some noticeable progress!

Image20190119_090526 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Engine compartment AC hoses done! Not the cleanest install I've ever done, but since this build was more about function and serviceability I'm happy with it. To make the install any cleaner I'd really want to flip the bulkhead fitting the other way around which would have required more cutting on the firewall and I REALLY hate cutting up decent original sheet metal when I can avoid it.

Image20190119_090635 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

Image20190119_094120 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Got the gauges on. It's a bit of a tight squeeze getting to the service ports, but doable. Vacuumed it for about 45 minutes and got it down half way on the micron gauge so I'm calling it good. Now I'll see if it'll hold a vacuum!

Image20190119_095843 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Hung the passenger side fender. It's not adjusted, just on loose. Nice to see it starting to look more like an assembled driveable truck!

Image20190119_100057 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr
Axle placement turned out good. A lot of the body swaps onto different frames I've seen the tires end up in a funny spot in the wheel opening. I was able to get it real close to factory.

Disable adblock

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”