77 Crewcab Build

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 77 Crewcab Build

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:16 pm

maddogjohnson wrote:
Bullistik8v92 wrote:On that 85 I'm working on right now I'm planning on using the old choke wire as the on-off signal, the original switched power to the duraspark will now power the coil and I will hook the FITech tach signal wire up to the - side of the coil for it's RPM reference. Hopefully that will work ok. I basically did that on the 79 F250 and it worked fine.

As long as you aren't trying to use the coil + to turn on the FiTech you should be ok.

That sounds about like what I did for my wiring.

I need to hook up my heater hoses. My FiTech temperature sensor is roughly in the middle of the picture (not hooked up). I believe that is where my heater hose should go. My temp sender for the stock dash gauge isn't pictured but it's in the center of the manifold behind the distributor. I think I can put the temp sender for the stock dash gauge to the thermostat housing neck that currently has a plug in it and move the FiTech sensor to where the temp sender for the stock dash gauge currently is, behind the distributor

Then again, as I look at this picture, it looks like the FiTech has to say where it is because the thread size of that sensor will only fit that hole.

I guess I'll find a heater hose 90º fitting that'll go in the hole closest to the left of the distributor.

Apparently, my motor is not as clean as it was a year and a half ago :)

You're idea should work fine. Take the FiTech sensor out of the reducer bushing and it'll fit where the stock gauge sender is (both are 3/8 NPT). Heater hose fitting where you have the FiTech sensor is the correct location and then the stock sender can go in thermostat housing.

The only thing that you will notice is that the dash gauge won't ready much temp until the thermostat opens. Although it helps if you drill a bleed hole in the thermostat, which I like to do regardless.

It's still pretty clean, but hard to keep 'em spotless in a truck, especially one that actually gets used!

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:52 am

Bullistik8v92 wrote:You're idea should work fine. Take the FiTech sensor out of the reducer bushing and it'll fit where the stock gauge sender is (both are 3/8 NPT). Heater hose fitting where you have the FiTech sensor is the correct location and then the stock sender can go in thermostat housing.

The only thing that you will notice is that the dash gauge won't ready much temp until the thermostat opens. Although it helps if you drill a bleed hole in the thermostat, which I like to do regardless.

It's still pretty clean, but hard to keep 'em spotless in a truck, especially one that actually gets used!

Go figure!

I snapped the first picture in the dark and didn't notice the reducer. Engine builder installed the FiTech sensor so I'd not paid attention to the actual sizes of the sensor.

Thanks for your insight. My idea from above was an armchair idea. Had I taken the few minutes to pop the hood open and poke around (other than snapping the pic in the dark) I'd probably have known the FiTech sensor was in a reducer.

Speaking of use - yes it sees regular use. I picked up a desk and dresser from some friends who are moving the other night. It was raining, as it has been a lot here this year. My windshield wipers (I have intermittent style) only work when I manually flip the switch on one speed. I need to figure out if I need a new switch or intermittent wiper governor.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:54 am

maddogjohnson wrote:
Bullistik8v92 wrote:You're idea should work fine. Take the FiTech sensor out of the reducer bushing and it'll fit where the stock gauge sender is (both are 3/8 NPT). Heater hose fitting where you have the FiTech sensor is the correct location and then the stock sender can go in thermostat housing.

Go figure!

I snapped the first picture in the dark and didn't notice the reducer. Engine builder installed the FiTech sensor so I'd not paid attention to the actual sizes of the sensor.

Thanks for your insight. My idea from above was an armchair idea. Had I taken the few minutes to pop the hood open and poke around (other than snapping the pic in the dark) I'd probably have known the FiTech sensor was in a reducer.

Speaking of use - yes it sees regular use. I picked up a desk and dresser from some friends who are moving the other night. It was raining, as it has been a lot here this year. My windshield wipers (I have intermittent style) only work when I manually flip the switch on one speed. I need to figure out if I need a new switch or intermittent wiper governor.

That sounds like a pretty typical governor failure. Normally you can take the governor apart and you will find a bad solder joint on one or more of the leads for the 2 big caps. I've had pretty fair luck just cleaning the board up and reflowing the solder or if it's really bad I'll use some solder sucker and then resolder the connections. It's also helpful to glue the caps together with glue to support them.

It could be a switch, but most of the time I've found bad governors and so far I've been able to repair all of them.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:11 pm

Progress has been nearly stopped, but not quite all the way to a halt fortunately! I did get the frame liners bent up finally. I had to guess on the radius of the stock frame because the flanges are square to the web on the stock frame so my radius gauges don't fit exactly like they should. Still, they turned out nicely and are a good fit. Just need to slide them in and drill some holes!

Image20190319_124944 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

Disable adblock

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Finally got a few minutes to work on the crewcab again. Playing catchup after all the snow and mayhem. I didn't have a ton of time, but I started working on the donor dash panel. I didn't want to cut up a good dash and I have a parts truck that's a factory AC truck so I stole the panel out of that. Had a couple small dings in it and 2 screw holes I need to fix.

Got everything cleaned up, and fixed the dent. Tomorrow I hope to get the 2 screw holes welded up and smoothed out and should be ready for primer.

Image20190413_173939 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:51 am

Nice.
This winter knocked everyone for a loop I think. Good to see some progress.
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:09 pm

It was weird weather. Pretty warm and somewhat dry even, then we get 3 feet of snow, it warms up to 65 for a couple weeks, then cools off to 45 and rains non stop. Oh well, it's manageable at this point.

Got the shutdown cable bracket done. Just need to add some paint.

Image20190414_114759 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

OrthmannJ

Postby OrthmannJ » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 pm

Yeah, it was weird here too. First week of January it was in the mid 50's and things looked like they may start to green up.
Then we got hit with cold and snow that lasted into March, which is completely unheard of in these parts.
1969 F-100
1996 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke
Previous rigs:
1978 F-250 crew cab
1994 Explorer XLT
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT
1981 F-100 shortbox stepside Ranger XLT
1994 F-150 XLT S/C 4X4

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:20 pm

Image20190524_155508 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

Bracket for the shut down cable is done. Offset to clear the parking brake handle and mounted using existing holes in the dash - I hate drilling holes in good old sheetmetal if I don't have to.

I wanted to put on a couple coats of primer today but it was a little cool and the ignition was torn apart on the Nova so I couldn't get it out of the shop easily. Hopefully in a few days I can at least get the primer on and blocked out.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:50 pm

The weather cooperated today so I started spraying some primer. Been awhile since I've done any paint work and found out my good spray gun has gone unused too long and it's going to need some packing kits, but it was good enough to lay down some DTM 2k primer. Also found out I don't have any 400 or 600 grit longboard paper so I can't block it out until the sandpaper store opens tuesday. But progress has been made and I'm good with any forward progress!

Image20190526_131701 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

Disable adblock

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”