77 Crewcab Build

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Re: 77 Crewcab Build

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:18 pm

It's been a tuff couple of weeks, but I managed to sneak in some time on the crewcab between everything else going on. I finally got the new hood latch bracket built. Took a couple tries to get the lower angle dialed in, but I think I'm happy with it now and looks like it will fill nicely now. Built it out of 10 gauge stainless for some extra rigidity. It's a little long, I still need to trim it a little. I originally wanted to put the nutplates in like factory for the hood latch itself, but there just isn't enough room with the intercooler. So I'll tig weld some stainless allthread into the bracket for the mounting.

Image20190921_181301 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

Not really applicable to this thread, but the hold up the last 2 weeks was a hasty decision to swap the transmission in the Freightliner before vacation. Turned into a bit more of a project than I'd expected. Actually.....worst transmission install EVER. Fought coming out, and REALLY fought going back in even with 2 of us working on it. But it's done and now I can keep up with traffic and not burn a ton of fuel. Also got the shaft by the driveline shop. Took a week and a half to get them to build it and they charged me enough I thought I'd asked them to build it out of gold with platinum ujoints or something.

Image20190907_155636 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

If anyone is interested in a VERY low mileage 9 speed, with the optional oil pump and cooler, I'll make you a heckva deal on it!

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Bullistik8v92
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby Bullistik8v92 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:44 pm

Marginal progress, but I finally got all the hood latch ordeal figured out. It fits nicely I think, clears the intercooler, latch fits behind the grill shell like stock, handle is in the stock location. It's got quite a bit of adjustment, but right now it's installed in the same position as the latch on my regular cab so hopefully it'll be close when I bolt the hood back on.

I've got the hood hinges soaking in oil. The ones that came off look like they're straight, they're just a little tight from sitting. Waiting on some more wiring supplies so I've been tinkering with the Dakota Digital wiring a little. I still need to mount the "control" boxes and I haven't found a spot for them yet that I'm completely happy with.

Image20191005_181853 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

Image20191005_181900 by Patrick Oilnut, on Flickr

maddogjohnson
Jr Mod - Guru
Jr Mod - Guru

Postby maddogjohnson » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:56 pm

Ah, a hasty decision to do a transmission swap before vacation wouldn't be a good story if it went smoothly! ;) Glad to hear you were able to get it wrapped up with the aid of your helping hands.

I'm sure having lots of hood latch adjustment will come in handy.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Return to “Projects - Images and stories, etc...”